a framework for sensemaking and decision-making - the Tetradian weblogs
About the Book
“Let’s do a quick SCAN on this.”
SCAN is a simple yet powerful framework for sensemaking and decision-making, and, recursively, for assessment and review of processes and results of sensemaking and decision-making. It was initially designed for enterprise-architecture and other business needs, but will also be useful in many other areas.
In essence, SCAN is a form of context-space mapping -- a means by which we make sense of a context, and work towards resolving our requirements in that context, by bouncing back and forth between the 'problem-space' and 'solution-space' in a disciplined way.
This ebook is an edited collection of articles from the Tetradian weblog (http://weblog.tetradian.com), on the SCAN framework. This edition includes all weblog-posts on SCAN up to January 2014; there'll be new editions of this ebook from time to time, to incorporate later posts and practical experience.
Table of Contents
- “Let’s do a quick SCAN on this”
- Comparing SCAN and Cynefin
- SCAN – an Ambiguous correction
- Using SCAN: some quick examples
- On SCAN, PDCA, OODA and the acronym-soup
- Ensuring that the Simple stays simple
- SCAN left, SCAN right…
- Domains and dimensions in SCAN
- On sensemaking in enterprise-architectures (1)
- On sensemaking in enterprise-architectures (2)
- On sensemaking in enterprise-architectures (3)
- On sensemaking in enterprise-architecture (4)
- Real-time sensemaking with SCAN
- Belief and faith at the point of action
- Decision-making – belief, fact, theory and practice
- Decision-making – linking intent and action (1)
- Decision-making – linking intent and action (2)
- Decision-making – linking intent and action (3)
- Decision-making – linking intent and action (4)
- Using recursion in sensemaking
- Competence, non-competence and incompetence
- Requisite-variety and stormy weather
- Rules, principles and the Inverse-Einstein Test
- Rules, principles, belief and faith
- Checklists and complexity
- Complex, complicated, and Einstein’s dice
- Order, unorder and effectiveness
- Sensemaking and the swamp-metaphor
- Sensemaking – modes and disciplines
- Enterprise-architecture is wicked
- More keywords for SCAN
- A simpler SCAN
- SCAN as ‘decision-dartboard’
- SCAN - some recent notes
- Problem-space, solution-space and SCAN
- Knowable and discoverable
- SCANning the toaster
- On metaframeworks in enterprise-architecture
- Metaframeworks in practice, Part 4: Context-space mapping and SCAN
- Methods, mechanics, approaches
- SCAN and Causal Layered Analysis
- Co-inspiring in the Chaotic domain
- Obliquity, serendipity and purpose
- Working with ‘I don’t know’
- Control, complexity and chaos
- Control, complex, chaotic
- Between the boxes
- On human ‘applications’ in EA models
- Principles and checklists
- Best practices – adapt, then adopt
- Reframing entropy in business
- More on reframing entropy in business
- The over-certainties of certification
- The craft of knowledge-work, the role of theory and the challenge of scale
- The science of enterprise-architecture
- Scalability and uniqueness
- Can complex-systems be ‘architected’?
- Avoiding delusions of strategy
- Efficient versus effective
- Four principles – 1: There are no rules
- Four principles – 4: Adaptability is everything
- Four principles for a sane society: Summary
- Four principles for a sane society: an addendum
- A kind of manifesto
Other books by this author
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them