On Complexity and Enterprise Architecture
On Complexity and Enterprise Architecture
Making sense of architecture complexities
About the Book
This anthology from the Tetradian weblog explores the various forms of complexity that arise in enterprise architecture, and how to work with them.
This book includes about 40 posts and 95 images from the weblog. These posts are split into four groups:
- Complexity: Complexity and Chaos - explores core concepts around complexity in business and beyond.
- Complexity: Complexity and Sensemaking - shows how make sense of complexity in architectures.
- Complexity: Complexity and Method - introduces methods and practices to tackle complexity.
- Complexity: Complexity and SCAN - illustrates how to use the SCAN frame to map out, make sense of and take action on complexity.
- COMPLEXITY: INTRODUCTION
- COMPLEXITY: COMPLEXITY AND CHAOS
- Order, unorder and effectiveness
- On chaos in enterprise-architecture
- Control, complexity and chaos
- Control, complex, chaotic
- Obliquity, serendipity and purpose
- Uniqueness and serendipity in enterprise-architecture
- Uniqueness and coincidensity
- Requisite-variety and stormy weather
- Rules, principles and the Inverse-Einstein Test
- Complex, complicated, and Einstein’s dice
Enterprise-architecture is wicked
- Tame-problems and wicked-problems
- Designing for wickedness
- Not so wicked
- COMPLEXITY: COMPLEXITY AND SENSEMAKING
- Sensemaking and the flocking of Boyds
- Sense, make-sense, decide, act
Sensemaking – modes and disciplines
- Four modes and seven sins
- Emphasis and tactics within each mode
- Sensemaking: Into the void
- Making sense in disruption
- Against fragmentation
- Down the rabbit-hole with ‘evidence-based’
- Viable System Model and Group Dynamics cycle
- Mapping architectures to the Viable System Model
- COMPLEXITY: COMPLEXITY AND METHOD
- Which complexity?
- Same and different
- On mass-uniqueness
- When identical is not the same as equal
Checklists and complexity
- Plain sailing in stormy weather
- Shaping a checklist
- Implications for enterprise-architecture
- The fourth checklist
Causal Layered Analysis, SCCC, and Cynefin
- On Causal Layered Analysis
- Context-space mapping with domains of Causal Layered Analysis
- Causal Layered Analysis, time-compression and social stress
- A practical summary
- Sinan Si Alhir on antifragility
- Fractality in Five Elements method
- Documenting the Not-known
Dotting the joins (the JEA version)
- Dotting the joins: the adverse effects of specialization
- Joining the dots
- COMPLEXITY: COMPLEXITY AND SCAN
- “Let’s do a quick SCAN on this”
Using SCAN: some quick examples
- Requirements definition
- EA reference-framework
A simpler SCAN
- Between sameness and uniqueness
- From plan to action
- Problem-space, solution-space and SCAN
Two SCAN notes - 1: Edges
- Edge of action (Simple :: Complicated)
- Edge of uncertainty (Complicated :: Ambiguous)
- Edge of innovation (Ambiguous :: Not-known)
- Edge of panic (Simple :: Not-known)
- Linking it all together
- Two SCAN notes - 2: Causal Layered Analysis
Quick SCAN examples
- #1: ‘SCAN in two minutes’
- #2a: The toddler’s tantrum (N>A>C>S>N)
- #2b: The scientist’s story (N>A>C>S (>N))
- #3a: The trainee’s tale ((N>) S>C>A>N)
- #3b: The quality-manager’s quest (S>C>A>N)
- #4: The surgeon’s story
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.