On Theory And Enterprise Architecture
On Theory And Enterprise Architecture
How theory guides architecture practice
About the Book
This anthology from the Tetradian weblog explores notions of theory in enterprise-architecture and the like, from mainstream IT-centric views to whole-enterprise architectures and beyond.
This book includes about 40 posts and 65 images from the weblog. These posts are split into four groups:
- Theory: Patterns - reviews the underlying concepts and definitions for a wide range of architecture concerns and patterns.
- Theory: Technology - assesses how problems in technology and architecture often arise from a poor grasp of underlying theory.
- Theory: Science - considers how we need to use science itself to test the science we use in our architectures and more.
- Theory: Scale - explores how theory itself can break down at different scales, and will need to be adapted to work well in those contexts.
- THEORY: INTRODUCTION
- THEORY: PATTERNS
- Principles, values, ends and means
- How useful are principles in enterprise-architecture?
- More on principles and decision-time
- Values, principles and value-trees
- Value-trees in enterprise-architecture
- ‘Bindedness’ in metamodels
- Content, context, connections – and purpose
- Agility needs a backbone
On layers in enterprise-architecture
- Practical implications for enterprise-architectures
- Rethinking the layers in enterprise-architecture
Assets and Resources
- Resources in Business Model Canvas
- Capability as Resource
- Asset and Resource
More on EA and asset-types
- Extending assets across the architecture
- On strategy and design
- Identifier, identity, persona and Mask
- More on identity and Mask
- Efficiency, effectiveness and co-creativity
- It’s not a cycle
- Assets and services
- Interoperability and interresponsibility
- Definition as EA anti-pattern?
Function, capability and affordance
- Implications for enterprise-architecture practice
Quality-systems and enterprise-architecture
- Quality of inputs
- Quality of process
- Quality of outputs
- Layering and recursion
- Metrics for qualitative requirements
- Big-data, big-information, big-knowledge
- Rethinking the DIKW hierarchy
- THEORY: TECHNOLOGY
- TOGAF Munich
- Up in the clouds
Unravelling the anatomy of Archimate
- The anatomy of Archimate
- Rethinking the anatomy of Archimate
- Technology-adoption, Wardley-maps and Bimodal-IT
Technology-adoption, technology-evolution and lifecycle-management
- Implications for enterprise-architecture
- Technology-adoption and time-horizons
- THEORY: SCIENCE
- The science of enterprise-architecture
- Enterprise-architect - applied-scientist, or alchemist?
- The theory of enterprise-architecture
- Architecture is theory
- Reframing entropy in business
- More on reframing entropy in business
- Hypotheses, method and recursion
- On reflexive methodology
- THEORY: SCALE
Scalability and uniqueness
- Practical implications for enterprise-architecture
- The craft of knowledge-work, the role of theory and the challenge of scale
- Market as organisation, market as enterprise
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.