The Social Tester (The Social Tester Book)
The Social Tester
8 years worth of thoughts on Software Testing and hiring Testers
About the Book
This book is a collection of my top rated blog posts from The Social Tester, my favourite articles and a few previously unpublished articles. It represents my ideas and thinking about software testing from the last 8 or so years. It shows how I moved from thinking about testing to thinking about how testing fits with the wider organisation - this parallels my journey from Tester to Engineering Manager. You may resonate with this journey.
This book includes ideas and thoughts on testing, agile, recruitment, management, metrics and of course, certifications!
I started blogging in 2007/2008 or sometime around then. My goal was to keep a record of my work. It soon turned in to a place to help others and I've tried to remain true to that over the years. I've now closed the The Social Tester blog although the content will remain online. My work has taken me in a different direction. This book represents the metaphorical closing of the door on the blog.
I published well over 500 articles on my blog. This book contains over 100. It's a big book. It's 8/9 years worth of thinking about software testing. I do hope you enjoy the book.
- 10 Reasons Why Being A Scrum Master Sucks
- 10 Ways To Hire Niche Employees
- 10 Ways To Initiate Change In An Organisation That Doesn’t Want To Change
- 60 Day Proof
- A Conference Story
- Running A Proof Of Concept
- Acceptance Criteria - It’s A Good Friend
- Accessibility Testing and Ownership
- Agile: It Will Make Your Face Melt And Your Mind Burst
- Agile Scared Me
- An Introduction To Mind Mapping For More Than Test Design
- Apparently There’s Nothing New
- Are Certifications Relevant?
- Are You Hiring A Certificate Or A Person?
- Are You Offering A Career In Testing Or Just A Job?
- Battle Testing
- Cannot Reproduce
- Career Paths And Testing
- Certifications Are Creating Lazy Hiring Managers
- Compare and Contrast
- Cloud As A Test Enabler
- How To Create A Test Lab
- Do You Need More Than A Certification?
- Don’t Be A Follower, Be A Tester
- Don’t Judge People Too Quickly
- Don’t Let Anyone Hold You Back
- Don’t Rush In To A Hiring Decision
- Double Check Your Audiences Values
- Easy Tiger - Don’t Dismiss Record And Playback Just Yet
- How To Create Effective Adverts For Recruiting Software Testers
- Effort On The CV Is A Good Indicator Of Interest
- Eliciting Requirements
- Explaining Exploratory Testing Relies On Good Notes
- Follow The Work - Bad News For Test Managers?
- Forget DevOps - Focus On DevMOps
- Gaining Customer Insights
- Getting Hired At Conferences
- Goal Setting Towards Agile
- Ha Ha - Told You So
- How To Help Your Recruiters Create A Great First Impression
- How To Kick Start Change In Your Organisation
- How Do You Measure The Effectiveness Of A Tester? The Only Calculation You Need.
- Working With Recruiters When Hiring Testers
- I am Going To Be A Tester - That Will Be Easy
- Ice Cream Sauce and Cigarettes
- Is Software Testing Really A Service?
- It Will Never Work Here
- It’s A Social Revolution
- It’s All About The People
- It’s Not A Blame Culture But It’s Definately Their Fault
- Let’s Say I Gave You A Giant Box To Explore
- Look Behind The Screen
- Look Out….Snot
- Lost In Translation - A Lesson Learned At A Hot Dog Stand
- Managing Exploratory Testing
- MVP - Minimum Viable Test
- My Software Was A Complete Success. The User Was A Failure.
- Outside The Loop
- PAC - Purpose, Audience and Context
- Planning For When Cows Attack
- Bad Requirements
- Push The Button
- Why Quality Can Never Be Achieved By Just The Testers
- Releasing Software Is Your Goal
- Reliance On Colour
- Shine A Light
- Staple Yourself To It
- Stubborn Cat
- T-Shaped Testers And Their Role In A Team
- Test Case Completion - A Story
- Testing Is More Than Having An Expertise In Testing
- Testing Sucks. I Hate Testing.
- That Tester’s Incompetent….Hide Them
- The Whole Is Not Broken
- The Impossible Job
- The Myth Of The Standard Tester
- The Product You Test Can Make Or Break You As A Tester
- There Are Bugs I Like And Bugs I Don’t Like
- There’s Method In The Madness
- This Is The Team To Get It Done
- Turn Off, Tune In And Get Stuck In
- We Are All On A Journey
- What Would A Customer Say If You Shipped It Now?
- What A Lot Of Tests
- What Can You Do With A Brick?
- What Do You Do When Hiring Managers Are Looking For A Set Of Skills You Don’t Have But You Sorely Want? You Learn.
- What Do You Want From Me?
- What Does The Future Hold?
- What Makes You Less Interchangeable?
- What Problem Is Hiring A Tester Solving?
- What’s In The News Today?
- When Your Stats Are Telling The Test Manager A Glorious Lie…Jump Ship
- Devops Includes Testers
- Why Listening Is The Best Weapon For Testers
- Why Written Communication Is Essential
- Word. Search.
- Work Experience And Work Placement
- You Know Something I Don’t Know, But If You Don’t Share Then We Can’t Grow
- You Need To “Test It Better”
- Your Customer Support Team Is Your Customer
- Thank You
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...