The Pregnancy Reading List
Last updated on 2019-10-04
About the Book
Congratulations! If you just found out that you’re pregnant, you’re probably overwhelmed by all there is to suddenly read, learn, and figure out. There are wayyyy too many books to read on pregnancy and parenting—and the challenge is that when you’re pregnant, you have no time and what feels like negative amounts of energy. Where should you start, and what should you read? And why does it seem like each book is a massive textbook that you need to inhale and learn ASAP?
Well, good news: you've got a book nerd in your corner. I love geeking out, reading books, and taking notes on them. If you’re a busy parent, or newly pregnant, I’ve written out short summaries of my favorite books with key highlights and takeaways, so you can read over my shoulder. Rather than reading thirty or forty parenting books, you can just start by reading this one book. I know how busy you are and how much is on your plate. I’ve been there. This book is for you. This book is short—less than half the length of a normal book—and designed to be a quick read, and easy to skim.
Inside this book, you'll get:
- Our clear point of view on how we approach pregnancy and parenting, and why we need LOTS of styles, not one dogmatic paradigm.
- 50+ book summaries and snippets and our high-level approach to analyzing which book is for you (and which to skip).
- Helpful tips on how to pick your parenting philosophy (and why it may evolve over time).
- The four major things you need to know for the first year with your baby, and how to think about each one.
- The books that helped me the most in getting it together and going back to work.
- Bonus book lists for memoirs and novels that will make you laugh when sh*t is crazy hard and you just need a chuckle (otherwise you'll go insane).
This book is great for you if you're starting out on your pregnancy journey, if you feel stressed and overwhelmed, if you wish you had someone to give you a summary of all the books, or if you're a spouse/co-parent/grandparent that wants to catch up on all the books and feel more informed without spinning down a reading list of 60+ books that you don't have time to read.
WHAT BOOK SHOULD YOU READ FIRST?
- Now you have a book nerd in your corner
- What’s in this book and how it’s organized
CHAPTER 1: OUR POINT OF VIEW
- Finding your approach
- Our philosophy, mission, and core values
CHAPTER 2: WOMEN’S HEALTH BOOKS
- #1 Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom
- #2 Taking Charge of Your Fertility
- #3 The Fifth Vital Sign
CHAPTER 3: PREGNANCY AND FERTILITY BOOKS
- #4 What to Expect
- #5 Expecting Better
- #6 Real Food For Pregnancy
- #7 Pregnancy Brain
- #8 Expecting: The Inner Life of Pregnancy
CHAPTER 4: CHILDBIRTH BOOKS
- #9 Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth
- #10 Hypnobirthing (The Mongan Method)
- #11 The Birth Partner
- #12 Birthing From Within
- #13 Childbirth Without Fear
- Other books worth considering
CHAPTER 5: MEMOIRS
- #14 Like A Mother
- #15 And Now We Have Everything
- #16 Body Full of Stars
- #17 Kid Gloves
- #18 We’re Going To Need More Wine
- #19 The Rules Do Not Apply
- #20 When Breath Becomes Air
- #21 A Life’s Work
- #22 Year of Yes
- #23 Mom & Me & Mom
- #24 Guidebook to Relative Strangers
- #25 Operating Instructions
- #26 Drunk Mom
- #27 Are You My Mother?
- #28 Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood
- #29 Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions
- #30 Black Milk
- More (My Future Reading List)
CHAPTER 6: POSTPARTUM BOOKS
- #31 The Fourth Trimester
- #32 The First 40 Days
- #33 What No One Tells You
- #34 Nobody Told Me That: The First Six Weeks
- #35 This Isn’t What I Expected (about PPD)
- #36 Things That Helped (On Postpartum Depression)
- #37 The Wise Mama Guide To Maternity Leave
- CHAPTER 7: NEWBORNS AND BABIES
Your Baby Manual: Picking One
- #38 What To Expect
- #39 Bringing Up Bebe
- #40 Parent Hacks
- #41 The Baby Owner’s Manual
- #42 The New Basics: A to Z
- #43 The Baby Book
Figuring out Newborns: Sleep, Soothing & Food
- #44 The Happiest Baby on The Block
- #45 The Wonder Weeks
- #46 Baby Wise
- #47 Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
- #48 The N.A.P.S. Solution
- #49 Go The F* To Sleep
- #50 The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- #51 So That’s What They’re For!
- #52 Latch
- #53 Baby Led Weaning
- Figuring Out Who You Are As A Parent
CHAPTER 8: BOOKS ABOUT RETURNING TO WORK
- #54 The Fifth Trimester
- #55 Work, Pump, Repeat
- #56 Drop The Ball
- #57 Do Less, Kate Northrup
- THANK YOU
- Learn More About Startup Pregnant
- Alphabetical list of books
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.