Making Match-3 Browser Games
Making Match-3 Browser Games
Tile-Matching Game Mechanics for Phaser.js Gaming Frameworks v3.x.x & v2.x.x
About the Book
Discover how to create online Match-3 and "Draw-3+" games using the methods in this single chapter from the Phaser Game Starter Kit Collection. When you finish this chapter, you will have a production pipeline ready to create as many different "tile-matching" games as your imagination can dream of!
You'll also get bonus content, download examples, game variations, and source code references on how to do every single thing in this game design workbook, so you can copy and paste any examples into your own productions and then modify those resources for your own purposes. General Game Licenses are included in the purchased book.
I would like to guide you in creating several styles of Match-3 and "three-in-a-row+" game mechanics. We will use the game mechanics, mechanisms and the development methods discussed in Phaser Game Prototypes. By the end of this workbook, you should have a fully functional Match-3 or Trace-3+ game - not just a copy of my game, but your very own product using your own gaming assets. There is a supporting website where you can download the bonus content included with your workbook's purchase.
This extraordinarily comprehensive guide will teach you how to:
- Use the Phaser JS Gaming Framework! either v2.x.x or v3.16+.
- How to integrate "Match-3" game mechanics into other game genres such as RPG adventure, and combat systems!
- Use your game as a "Progressive Web Application" or "Single Page Web Application" for any device.
- Analyze current business demand for this game's genre, how and where to deploy it.
- Automatically generate various game board features.
If you have any feedback or suggestions please join our email listing or participate in the forum for this course!
- Supporting website
About this Workbook
- Links and References
- Workbook Content
How to Read & Use this workbook:
- Viewing this eBook:
- Who should use this workbook?
- Your newly obtained skills…
Game Design System™
- Game Studio - Book Series
- Game Studio - Online Courses
- “Making Browser Games” - Books Series
- “Making Browser Games” Series - online Courses
- Programming Courses
- “Walk-Thru Tutorial” Series - Online Courses
- Distribution Permission
Making HTML5 Games
1 Introduction to Game Design
- 1.1 Game Genre Defined
- 1.2 Game Tools & Generators
- 1.3 References From
2 Standard Project Setup
- 2.1 Standardized File Structure
- 2.2 Barebones Set-up
- 2.3 Web Server Required - Batteries not included!
3 Starting a Game Project
3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- Game Examples
- 3.2 Step 1: Create your “front-door”
3.3 Step 2. Create your “Game Shell” & Phases
- Network Impact
- Gamer’s Local Activity
3.4 Select a JS Format
- ES5 Format
- ES6+ Format as “FAT Arrow” Function
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Class”
- ES6+ Format as “Phaser.Scene”
- 3.1 Step 0: Review your competition and their games
- 1 Introduction to Game Design
Part II: Making “Match-3” Browser Games
4 Match-3 — Core Game Construction
- 4.1 Game Project Overview
- 4.2 Our Goal
- 4.3 Match-3 Genre Description
- 4.4 Game Mechanics (GM) - Logic & Rules
- 4.5 Game Recipe™ Featured Ingredients
4.6 Design Considerations
- Match 3 (Placed) - Tic-tac-toe
- Match 4 (Placed) - “Connect”
- Match 5 (Placed) - “Go”
- 4.7 Match 3+ - “Tracing-a-line”
- 4.8 Step 3a: Create “Play.js”
- 4.9 Step 3b: Create Supporting functions.
- 4.10 Conclusion
5 Phaser v3.16+ Code Review
5.1 Game Set-up Options
- Phaser III Config and Game Settings - Lines 630 to 718:
5.2 Game Mechanisms Component - “playGame Class”
- PlayGame.constructor – Lines 73 to 79
- “Preload” Essential Functions – Lines 79 to 152
- “Create” Essential Functions – Lines 97 to 155
- PlayGame.drawGameBoard – Lines 156 to 175
- PlayGame.tileSelect – Lines 177 to 207
- PlayGame.swapTiles – Lines 209 to 236
- PlayGame.handleMatches – Lines 238 to 291
- PlayGame.makeTilesFall – Lines 292 to 345
- PlayGame.endOfMove – Lines 347 to 365
5.3 Match-3 Game Mechanics Component
- Arrange Board After Match – Lines 397 to 415
- Create and Manage the Gameboard data – Lines 422 to 447
- 5.1 Game Set-up Options
6 Phaser v2.x.x Code Review
6.1 Match-3+ Core Mechanics
- Step 3. Create your core Game logic & supporting functions
6.2 Game-board set-up
drawField- Lines 57 to 80:
6.3 Input Validation
- Function Tile selection – Lines 81 to 121
- Function Tile De-selection – Lines 122 to 129
- Function Tile Move – Lines 130 to 161
- Function Tile swapping – Lines 162 to 202
- Function Tile Next – Lines 199 to 202
- Function Tile the same – Lines 203 to 206
- Function Tile at – Lines 207 to 214
6.4 Tile Discovery
- Function Get Tile row – Lines 215 to 218
- Function Get Tile column – Lines 220 to 224
6.5 Game Rules and logic
- Function Tile Horizontal Match – Lines 225 to 228
- Function Tile Vertical match – Lines 229 to 232
- Function Tile is a Match – Lines 233 to 236
- Function Existing Match in Board – Lines 237 to 248
- Function Match Handling “Workhorse” – Lines 249 to 271
- Function Handle Vertical Matches – a delegation pattern; Line 272 to313
- Function Handle Horizontal Matches – a delegation pattern; Line 314 to 355
6.6 Game Board Management
- Function Tile Removal – Lines 356 to 382
- Function Tile Falling (visual display management) – Lines 383 to 427
- Function Replenish Tile Field (visual display management) – Lines 428 to 474
- Function Tile Holes Below (visual display management) – Lines 475 to 486
- Function Tile Holes in Columns (visual display management) – Lines 487 to 497
7 Game Shell - The CMS!
- 7.1 Generic
- 7.2 Generic Boot.js
- 7.3 Generic Preload.js
- 7.4 Generic Splash.js or Language.js
7.5 Generic Menu.js
- Sample CMS page — Credits.js
- Deeper Dive: Using JAMStack as an SSG …
- Deeper Dive: Static Site Generators (SSG)
- 7.6 Inside each Game Phase
- 8 Plug-in Enhancements
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 Bonus Development Content
- 4 Match-3 — Core Game Construction
10.1 Game Distribution & Marketing
- Introduction: 8-Step Deployment Method.
- 10.2 Book Review Protocol
- 10.3 Tell the world about your game!
- 10.1 Game Distribution & Marketing
- Additional Content Appendices
- Other resources:
- Selling your Game Assets
- Appendix: Making WebXR games!
- Appendix: Online Game Development
- Appendix: Phaser III Plugins
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
- More Resources
Answers to Exercises
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...