Hiring freelance software developers
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2016-02-19
About the Book
There is typical one thing staying between you and getting your project done: finding a software developer that can understand what you want and build it for you.
Where you find software developers? How much should you pay? How do you communicate with them?
This book try to get to the point and provide concise, actionable answers.
- The plan
- 1. Why to hire a freelance software developer
2. Understand the context: what is the market for developers?
- 3. Understand what problem you want to solve
- 4. Understand the value of your project
5. Where to look for developers
- Why you should avoid freelancer, Upwork and those large freelancer markets
- Selected freelancer markets
- Using your network… with some help
- Where passionate developers meet
- When to use an agency instead of a freelancer
- Look for Open-source contributors.
6. Should I pay a daily rate or a fixed fee?
- The difficulty of predicting development time
- Requirements change
- Are you willing to pay for a proposal?
- When to work with fixed fees?
7. How much should I expect to pay?
- The perils of calculating yourself the fair price
- Why it does not matter
- Compare several estimates
- Let’s look at some numbers
8. How can you understand if a developer is good?
- Evaluate domain competence
- Evaluate professionalism
- Evaluate enthusiasm
- On technical competence
- Evaluate technical competence through proxies
- Evaluate technical competence through a consultant
9. Contracts and NDAs
- Contracts: a few things to look into
- 10. Build trust
- Set expectations
- Demand regular updates
- The advantages of writing
- Describe what you want
- Do your part
- The author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.