Making Portugal a global player in Software Development
About the Book
As technology and software become more and more important to Portuguese society, it is time for Portugal to take them more seriously, and become a real player in that world. This book discusses several ideas to make Portugal a place where programming, TDD, Open Source, learning how to code, hacking (aka bug-bounty style), and DevOps receive the consideration, investment and respect that they deserve. Application Security can act as an enabler for this transformation, due to its focus on how code and apps work, and its enormous advances in secure-coding, testing, dev-ops and quality.
Table of Contents
- Why I’m doing this
- Summary of Chapters
- Please give me your feedback
Portugal should be hostile to insecure code
- Attack vulnerable code
- Next generation of internet users
PHS - Portuguese Hacking Service
- Portuguese hackathon league
- Other sources of talent
- Working together
“Made in Portugal”
- Best in world
- Portugal as a leader in AppSec
- “Code Made in Portugal” brand
- Drugs Decriminalization
- Portuguese innovation for the 21st Century
- Tesla in Portugal
How Secure is Portugal?
- Our security model is based on lack of attackers
- The Emperor’s new clothes
- Think I’m wrong?
- The financial markets hack
- Thank your attackers
- Why do we have F16s?
- Hit by the crossfire
Public health analogy
- Red or blue pill?
- Public health problem
- Sane defense model
- Where is the AppSec industry?
- Be proactive
Hack like football
- Let’s do the same for hacking
- Hacking created the Internet
- Hackers’ values
- Creating Your future
- Be different
- Openness is key
- FOSS Values
- Open Source is expensive
- Open Source lingua franca
- Open the source of Portuguese code
- The next level App Security Social Graph
- The cathedral’s eyeballs
- Defend privacy
- The Need for Disclosure
- Whistleblowers have an important role
- Protected by law
- Limited privacy for state and companies
- Learn from the music industry
- Collaborative Commons
- Government’s role
- Code is Law
- Who controls the world?
- Governments can make a difference
- Iterate exponentially
- Ministry of Code
- Clear Software Act
- Software Testing Institute
- ASAE for code
- When regulation loses the plot
- Portugal-wide bug bounty
- Solution is not to buy ‘security’
- Code Nationalization
- European Union
- New currencies for Southern Europe
Investment in infrastructure
- Design companies
- Example scenario
- Internet-based model
- Exponential growth
- Open Source the project
- Transportation investment fund
- Portuguese Emigrants
- Git is a core skill
- University course
- Threat Models as strategic activity
- For the developers
- Real time unit test execution and Code Coverage
- Sharing is a Very Emotional and Dangerous Practice
- Creating a sharing culture by embracing Creative Commons
Actions and recommendations
- Other recommendations
- Recommendations for education and training:
- Easier in a small country
- Raise the bar of the discussion
- Big questions
- Best in ‘graduating high school’?
- Protect the internet
- Portugal needs to export engineers
- What is the future of Portugal?
- Sail the Code
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them