Internal Tech Conferences
Internal Tech Conferences
Accelerate Multi-team Learning
About the Book
Internal tech conferences can make a significant impact on an organization's level of sharing, learning, and communication by accelerating multi-team learning across technology departments. An increasing number of enlightened organizations are using this powerful approach to spread and embed new ideas and practices.
In this book we share practical advice on how to prepare, run, and follow-up on an internal tech conference, together with some case studies from several organizations showing the approaches in common and the adaptations for each situation.
This book is for people involved in technology leadership in some form: people in 'official' positions of leadership (CIO, CTO, Head of Engineering, IT Operations Manager, etc.) and those in more informal technology leadership positions, such as team leaders, senior engineers, and people who simply like to lead by example. Having been in such positions ourselves, we (Victoria and Matthew) want to help other technology leaders to devise and run successful internal tech conferences to act as a key strategic differentiator for organizations building software systems.
Table of Contents
- Conflux Books
- How to use this book
- Why we wrote this book
- About the authors
1. Benefits - why run an internal tech conference
- 1.1 What is an internal tech conference?
- 1.2 The business case
- 1.3 Measurable benefits
- 1.4 Empowerment, Learning, Connection
- 1.5 Define what speakers gain
- 1.6 Define what attendees gain
- 1.7 What types of events work?
- 1.8 Learn from external events
- 1.9 Chapter Review
2. Preparing for the conference
- 2.1 Get buy-in from senior management
- 2.2 Form a strong organising team for the event
- 2.3 Choose the date and venue
- 2.4 Choose the right format
- 2.5 Identify your speakers
- 2.6 Define the schedule
- 2.7 Ensure speakers are ready
- 2.8 Ensure attendees are ready
- 2.9 Ensure the space is ready
- 2.10 Chapter Review
3. Running the conference
- 3.1 Volunteer army
- 3.2 Communicate any late schedule changes
- 3.3 Make it easy to attend the right sessions
- 3.4 Make speakers finish on time
- 3.5 Make speakers use a microphone
- 3.6 Cover all operational aspects
- 3.7 Enhance attendee experience
- 3.8 Chapter Review
- 4.1 Gather feedback
- 4.2 Reflect, then follow-through
- 4.3 Chapter Review
5. Case studies
- 5.1 Case study: The Financial Times
- 5.2 Case study: Metaswitch
- 5.3 Case study: Klarna
Toolkit for internal tech conferences
- Building a schedule
- Example schedule
- Example checklists
- Example budget
- Example promotion plan
- Example poster
- Example website sitemap
- Code of Conduct
- How to succeed with tech talks
- Briefing for panellists
- Moderator tips
- Realtime retrospective
- Digital tools to support the organising team
- Online conferences
About the Publisher
This book is published on Leanpub by Conflux Books
Conflux Books publishes books for the global technology community from experienced practitioners.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them