This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-10-24
About the Book
If you are considering climbing Mount Fuji, this book may be of interest to you.
On August 15-16, 2018, I hiked the Yoshidaguchi trail of Mount Fuji.
I woke up in Tokyo just after 5 AM on the Wednesday, took trains to Mount Fuji station, got there at about 9 AM, went to the visitor center, got a map, took a cab a couple kilometers to 7-11, bought supplies, walked to a shrine, did the hike, took a bus and then trains back, got back to Tokyo at 11 PM on the Thursday, and had delicious udon noodles and the best hot shower of my life.
I hiked the full Yoshidaguchi trail on the ascent. While I did reach the 3706 meter peak of the Yoshidaguchi trail, I did not reach the 3776 meter summit of Mount Fuji–I was short on daylight and on time, so I didn’t hike around the crater.
Due to the way that I timed my hike, I didn’t see the sunrise from the top of Mount Fuji. Heck, I haven’t seen anything from the top of Mount Fuji except the inside of a cloud! (The last good view I had from Mount Fuji was from 8th station, at 3020 meters.)
On the descent, I hiked down the descending Yoshida trail and then took the bus back from the Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station.
This short book is the story of my hike, including exactly what I brought and bought. There are also lots of photos from both days.
The Yoshidaguchi Trail
- What I Did, the Short Version
- Why Are You Writing This?
- This is a Short Book
- The Photos in the Book
- The Prices in the Book
Preparation and Warnings
- This is Just a Personal Story, Not a Guide
- I am Not a Mountain Guide
- Only Climb Mount Fuji In The Official Climbing Season
- There is No Water and No Food in the 12 Kilometers from the Base (850m) to Fifth Station (~2300m)
- There is No Water or Food on the Descent to Fifth Station
- Wind Can Kill You
- Weather Conditions and Temperature Both Change Drastically at Different Elevations
- Extra Lithium Ion Batteries
- Make Sure You Have Trekking Poles!
- Bring a Headlamp
- Bring Cash
- Book a Spot at a Mountain Hotel In Advance
- Official Warnings
- Download the Map from the Website
- Get the Paper Map from the Visitor Center
- Google Maps
What I Packed
- What I Initially Wore
- What I Brought For The Entire Mountain & Did Use
- Electronics That I Brought & Did Use
- Clothes I Brought for the Bottom Half & Did Use
- Clothes I Brought for the Top Half & Did Use
- For Sleeping
- Things I Brought & Didn’t Use
- Food I Brought from Tokyo
- I Bought Way Too Many Sports Drinks at 7-11
- Things I Didn’t Bring & Wished I Had Brought
- Food and Drink I Bought On The Mountain
Garbage and Toilets
What I Did, the Long Version
- Getting to Mount Fuji Station, 7-11 and the Shrine
- Hiking to Umagaeshi
- The Hike to Yoshidaguchi Station 5
- Dinner and a Decision
- The Climb to the Peak
- The Descent and Trip Back
- Don’t You Wish You’d Hiked to the Summit?
- Day One
- He Who Climbs Twice
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...