Writing Better Books, the Agile Way
Writing Better Books, the Agile Way
Streamline Your Writing Process, and Connect with Readers from Day One
About the Book
The craft of writing and marketing a book has changed significantly over the past 10 years. It is no longer enough to just write a good book; you have to write for a specific audience and connect to your readers long before the book hits the shelves. Releasing part of your work early allows you to make adjustments to your book—or even discard your project to invest your time instead into a better book idea.
Using modern project management methods, you can organize your work into individual steps ("user stories"), and re-use them to market your book. Organizing the book properly into logical sections helps you to create preview materials for blog posts or newsletters. In addition, this will ensure that you make steady progress with your book, avoid getting lost in the details and achieve high quality consistently throughout your book.
Do you recognize yourself in one of these people?
This book is for "Peter."
- First-time author.
- Has a "complete" script, "had a friend look at it," and now wants to publish it.
- Might need (unsolicited) advice to properly edit it instead of just going through a "self-edit."
- Needs to be reminded about the difficulties of selling a book. Has no idea about marketing.
- Has not worked with an editor.
- Creates his own book covers.
- Would benefit from a "pep talk."
This book is for "Mary."
- Writes novels in Word but now wants to write a non-fiction book.
- Undecided about what tools to use.
- Works with an editor, but she and her editor have no real work structure.
- Does not know how to market, find market niches, etc. Her past successes were random and she never knew if her latest novel would sell or not.
This book is for "John."
- Professional editor seeking to expand his services from merely editing Word files to helping release books online.
- Also is looking for better project management techniques to better guide an author along the way.
- Often works in the scientific field and thus has to manage a lot of bibliographical references.
- Spends lots of time indexing books.
- Is OK with a LaTeX template but seeks to get a head start by making adjustments to it.
This book is for "George."
- LaTeX expert who wants to publish his work as an e-book.
- Needs basic direction and then figures out the rest on his own.
- Plans to do a series with a glossary and often needs to re-use text blocks.
- Needs some help in terms of book design, polishing, and graphics.
- Loves to share work and collaborate with others.
This book is for "Tina."
- Professional self-publisher who is looking for additional ideas to improve her existing publishing process.
- Looks for ways to establish herself as a brand and create a network of readers.
This book is for "Clara."
- Wants to write a book about her profession but has no idea where to start.
- Great Expectations
- Incorporate Books into Your Professional Career
- Starting a New Book
- What to Keep and What to Remove
- Selecting Personas
- How to Organize Your Ideas
- How to Organize Your Ideas (Fiction Books)
- The Rules of Your Book
- How to Optimize the Work Process
- How to Get Early Feedback from Readers
- How We Can Help with Project Management
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Discrete Mathematics for Computer ScienceAlexander Shen, Alexander S. Kulikov, Vladimir Podolskii, and Aleksandr Golovnev
This book supplements the DM for CS Specialization at Coursera and contains many interactive puzzles, autograded quizzes, and code snippets. They are intended to help you to discover important ideas in discrete mathematics on your own. By purchasing the book, you will get all updates of the book free of charge when they are released.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals