Weinberg on Writing
Weinberg on Writing
About the Book
Ed Tittel writes: "Anyone who knows Weinberg's work knows he concocts a magical melange of insight, intelligence, and humor to deliver memorable and useful bits of wisdom on any number of topics. I'd always wondered how he managed his writing process, and now that I've read this book I feel like I have a much better idea.""For those of us -- including me -- who write for a living, the "Fieldstone Method" he propounds in this book helps to codify a very workable approach to this work. It's not always what works best for me in terms of meeting other people's schedules and deadlines (which Weinberg believes are best ignored, refused, or otherwise gotten around) but it is a very workable method for longer projects where I have time to research and collect information, then polish it, and put it into book form.""What I like best about this book (and about every one of Jerry's books that I've read) is that it makes clever and effective use of anecdotes and stories -- parables, almost -- to make its many and various points. I would recommend this book to anyone who's interested in the process of writing, or who wants to improve his or her personal writing process. I'd love to see it become a staple text in creative and technical writing classes, where the usual teaching materials are often far drier and less engaging.""Two thumbs up!"
Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method
Chapter 1. The Most Important Writing Lesson
- First Exercise:
- Second Exercise:
Chapter 2. The Fieldstone Method in Brief
- Learning to Care About What You Have to Write
- What You Learned In School Doesn’t Work
- The Fieldstone Method Does Work
- Looking at Walls
Chapter 3 Banishing Writer’s Block
- The Structure of Creation versus the Structure of Presentation
- Writer’s Block and the Goldilocks Questions
- Observing Your Writing Activities
Chapter 4. Prospecting: Gathering Explained
- Writing versus Writing Down
- Why I Am Not Quite as Rich and Famous as Scott Adams
- The Energy Principle
- Learning by Copying
- Are There Enough Stones for Me?
- But My Stones Are Not That Significant!
- The Most Important Book for All Writers
- Gathering During Interactions
- Gathering Exercise
- Excuses Exercise
Chapter 5. Recycling Stones from Literature
- Gathering from Books
- Gathering Exercise: Nonfiction
- A Fringe Benefit of Fieldstone Gathering
- Gathering Exercise: Required Reading
- Gathering from Fiction
- Gathering Exercise: Fiction
Chapter 6 Stealing Stones Safely
- When Is It Plagiarism?
- Stealing Words
- Gathering Exercise: Words
- Gathering Exercise: Laundering Words
- Stealing Phrases
- Gathering Exercise: Phrases
- Stealing Sentences
- Gathering Exercise: Sentences
- Becoming a Professional Thief
- Gathering Exercise: Conversation
- Gathering Exercise: Conferences
- Gathering Exercise: Any Time
- Gathering Exercise: In Nature
Chapter 7. Tools to Assist Your Gathering
- My Computer
- Notecards and Pens
- Highlighters and Sticky Notes
- Typing Skill
- Other Technological Aids
- The Internet
- Keeping the References
- Gathering Exercise: Internet Resources
- Typing Exercise: Any Time
- Gathering Exercise: Highlighting
Chapter 8. Gathering Fieldstones from Memory
- Gathering Exercise: Looking for Energy
- Test Your Memory
- Stimulate Your Memory
- Gathering Exercise: Discovering What Triggers Your Memory
- Gathering Exercise: Combining Triggers
Chapter 9. Discarding Stones That Don’t Fit
- Carrying the Raft
- Getting Off On the Wrong Foot
- Exercise: Some New Starts
- Rules and Habits
- The Perfection Rule
- Maybe I’ll Discard Something Important
- Exercise: Practice with Your For-Later-Use Bin
Chapter 10. Criteria for Discarding Stones
- Sound Tests
- Exercise: Read Aloud (in a group)
- Vision Tests
- Touch Tests
- Taste Tests
- The Life Test
- Weinberg’s Target
- Quality is Personal
- Exercise: Developing Your Own Quality Criteria
- Problems with Meaning
- Exercise: Do You Mean?
- Playing With Your Words
- Exercise: Word Play
Chapter 11. Decimating Your Work
- The Abecedarian
- Exercise: Less Is More (Dani’s Decimation)
- Applying Dani’s Decimation
- Cotton Candy Bricklaying
- Exercise: Decimating Fiction and Other Literary Forms
Chapter 12. Beginning to Get Organized
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Gather First, Gather Last
- Use an Organizing Principle
- Use Organizing Tools
- Exercise: Card Sorting
- Exercise: Anchor Stones
Chapter 13. Outlining with Fieldstone Solitaire
- Make Every Stone Action-Oriented
- Work Inside-Out or Outside-In
- Pull Out the Wrong Rocks
- Be Patient
- Exercise: Pulling Stones
Chapter 14. Organizing Your Work Space
- Assignment: Writing Journal.
- Assignment: Feelings About Taking Care of Yourself.
- Creating Your Environment
- Assignment: Your Writing Environment.
- Writing to Music
- Exercise: Writing to Music
- Where Am I in the Organizing Process?
Chapter 15. Keep Moving Until You Have Enough
- Where I Am Right Now in the Organizing Process
- When You Get Stuck, Center, Enter, and Turn
- Exercise: Recentering Breaks
Exercise: Blah Blah
- An Example of the Center-Enter-Turn Process
- Exercise: Center, Enter, Turn
- Where Am I Now in the Organizing Process?
Chapter 16. Putting Your Subconscious to Work
- Look for What’s Missing
- Exercise: What’s Missing?
- Use Quotes
- Sweet Are the Uses of Solitaire
- Use the Power of Combination
- Exercise: Cut Ups
- Where Am I Now in the Organizing
Chapter 17. ShapingStones to Fit
- Making Your Writing Memorable
- Making It Simple and Specific
- Writing for Rapport
- Exercise: Writing for Rapport
- Shaping Quotes
- Exercise: Varying Styles for Varying Effects
- Where Am I Now in the Organizing?
Chapter 18. Filling the Cracks
- Sorting and Associating Stones
- Exercise: Transitions
- Mortaring Techniques
- Organizing Based on the Underlying Ideas
- Where Am I Now in the Organizing?
Chapter 19. Knowing When to Stop
- The Bingo-Card Effect
- The Need to Be Perfect
- The Need to Be Loved
- How do I Know When I’m Done?
- The Last Few Stones
- How It Turns Out
Chapter 20. What Happens After You Finish?
- Getting Published
- Life After Publishing—The Matthew Effect
- It’s Not All Sweetness and Light
- Postscript added for eBook edition
- Emotional Issues
- The Writing Life
- Chapter 1. The Most Important Writing Lesson
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Technical leadership and the balance with agilitySimon Brown
A developer-friendly, practical and pragmatic guide to lightweight software architecture, technical leadership and the balance with agility.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
The Python Craftsman
3 BooksThe Python Craftsman series comprises The Python Apprentice, The Python Journeyman, and The Python Master. The first book is primarily suitable for for programmers with some experience of programming in another language. If you don't have any experience with programming this book may be a bit daunting. You'll be learning not just a programming...
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...