Learning HTML and CSS by making tweetable quotes
Last updated on 2015-02-11
About the Book
HTML and CSS are key skills to learn if you're working with content - but too often learning it is frustrating because it's all about web design.
This mini book introduces you to some basic HTML by showing you a particularly useful application of simple coding skills: making something in an article 'tweetable'.
You'll learn about HTML, CSS and APIs in four stages:
- The first part introduces HTML basics by showing how to create the 'tweetable quote';
- The second part adds more details on tweeting links, hashtags and @names.
- The third part covers how to make a 'tweetable image';
- And finally, the fourth part shows you how to add a little design flair with CSS.
Stage 1: The tweetable quote
- Starting with HTML: opening and closing tags
- Customising the tweeted text: hackable URLs
- Changing your linked text to a ‘call to action’
- Adding a Twitter icon
Stage 2: Adding links, hashtags and @names to a ‘tweet this’ window
- An introduction to APIs
Stage 3: Adding an embedded image to a ‘Tweet this’ tweet
- Adding your image URL to the ‘tweet this’ link
Stage 4: Styling your ‘Tweet this’ quotes with CSS
- HTML = content and meaning; CSS = style and design
- Three types of CSS
- CSS targets tags, attributes and values
- Inline styles using the style attribute
- Applying all this to your tweetable quote
- Taking things further: reverse-engineering someone else’s CSS
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.