About the Book
- A look into the obscure object internals and meta-programming with the new Reflect API, Proxies and Symbols
- A thorough introduction to TypeScript and how it can boost your developer productivity
- A breathtaking story of EPIC proportions and awkward sense of humor...
We, programmers, sadly do not live in such a world. But we do have a measure of magic in ourselves, we have the skills and power to create things out of nothingness. And even if we cannot throw fireballs or levitate (yet), we can definitely change/improve/enhance reality and the universe around us with our little creations. Ain't that freaking awesome?
Artur is a passionate software developer who has built various web applications for small as well as enterprise companies.
Sometimes he recollects the good, old times when jQuery was in beta, just about to be released as 1.0 and nobody even knew what SPA stood for... Everyday he tries to get better with modern front- end development and software craftsmanship.
Currently he works as Senior Applications Developer at Oracle. When he gets home he plays around with side projects, open source or gets outside and does some running.
Principal Software Engineer at Bluestem Brands, Inc.
Kári Tristan Helgason
Software Engineer at Google and Technical Reviewer for this book
- About The Author
- About the Technical Reviewers
- A Story About Why I Wrote This Book
- What is the Goal of This Book?
- Is This Book For You?
- How is The Book Organized?
- Understanding the Code Samples in This Book
- A Note About ECMAScript 5 (ES5) and ES6, ES7, ES8 and ESnext within The Book
A Note Regarding the Use of
- A Note About the Use of Generalizations in This Book
- Do You Have Any Feedback? Found Any Error?
- A Final Word From the Author
- Once Upon a Time…
Introduction to the Path of Summoning and Commanding Objects (aka OOP)
- OOP Beyond Classes
- Combining Classes with Object Composition
- The Path of the Object Summoner Step by Step
Summoning Fundamentals: Encapsulation and Information Hiding
- Let’s get Started With The Basics of OOP!
- Object Initializers
- Constructor Functions and the New Operator
- Object Initializers vs Constructor Functions
- Object Factories vs Constructor Functions
Summoning Fundamentals: Prototypical Inheritance
- You Don’t Repeat Yourself. Inheritance!
- Classical Inheritance vs Prototypical Inheritance
- Object Prototypes
- Object Prototypes with Object.Create or OLOO
- Defining Prototypes with Constructor Functions
- Creating Longer Prototype Chains
- What About Concatenative Protypical Inheritance?
- Object Initializers vs Object.create vs Constructor Functions
Summoning Fundamentals: Polymorphism
- Polymorphism Means Many Forms
- Polymorphism in C#
- Ever Heard of Classical Inheritance?
- Constructor Function + Prototype = Class
- Simplifying Classical Inheritance in ES5
White Tower Summoning Enhanced: The Marvels of ES6 Classes
- Create These Units Faster with ES6 Classes!
- From ES5 “Classes” to ES6 Classes
- Prototypical Inheritance via Extends
- Overriding Methods in ES6 Classes
- Static Members and Methods
- ES6 Classes and Information Hiding
- ES6 Classes Behind the Curtain
Black Tower Summoning: Objects Interweaving Objects with Mixins
- The Problem With Classes and Classical Inheritance…
- Free Yourself From Classes With Object Composition and Mixins
- Limitations of Mixins as Objects
- Functional Mixins
- Combining Mixins with ES6 Classes
- Object.assign in Depth
Black Tower Summoning: Safer Object Composition with Traits
- An Improvement Over Mixins
- Traits with traits.js
- Composing Traits
- What Happens When You Miss Required Properties?
- Resolving Name Conflicts
- Traits and Data Privacy
- High Integrity Objects With Immutable Traits
- Traits vs Mixins
Black Tower Summoning: Next Level Object Composition With Stamps
- I Call Them Stamps
- What are Stamps?
- Stamps By Example
- Stamp Composition
- Stamp Fluent API
- Concluding: Stamps vs Mixins vs Traits
Object Internals: The Secrets of Objects
- A Nifty Trick… Object Internals
All your Objects Are Belong to
- Defining Properties with Object.defineProperty
- Defining Multiple Properties with Object.defineProperties
- Beautiful Property Manipulation with ESnext Decorators
- Class And Method Decorators
- Create Objects With Object.create And Property Descriptors
- Other Useful Object Methods
More Metaprogramming with Reflect, Proxies and Symbols
- How Good Are You at Reflection?
- ES6 Reflect
- Reflection? What is reflection?
- ES6 Proxies
- ES6 Symbols and Meta-programming
- You Shall Only Use Types!
- So, What Are The Advantages and Disadvantages of TypeScript?
- Setting up a Simple TypeScript project
- Cool TypeScript Features
- Type Annotations In TypeScript
- Working with TypeScript in Real World Applications
- Introduction to the Path of Summoning and Commanding Objects (aka OOP)
Tome II. Epilogue
- Thank you!
References and Appendix
- An Army of Objects
- Object Initializers (a.k.a. Object Literals)
- Creating Objects With Factories
- ES6 Improves Object Initializers
- ES6 Symbols and Data Privacy
- This, Your Most Dangerous Foe
- Type Coercion Madness
Appendix C. More Useful Function Patterns: Function Overloading
- Have you Heard About The Marvels Of Overloading?
- How Do We Do Function Overloading Then?
- Function Overloading by Inspecting Arguments
- Using an Options Object
- Relying on ES6 Defaults
- Taking Advantage of Polymorphic Functions
Appendix D. Setting Up Your Developing Environment For ES6
- Using ES6 with Node.js
- ES6 and Modern Browsers
- Real-World ES6 Development Environments
- Appendix E. Fantasy Glossary
- White papers
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
Cloud Architect: Transform Technology and Organization
2 BooksArchitects don't just recite product names and features. They understand the options, decisions, and trade-offs behind them. They earn credibility and maintain authenticity by connecting the penthouse with the engine room. Get two essential books that redefine the role of the software and IT architect at one low price:37 Things One Architect...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!