Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
This book is 99% complete
Last updated on 2019-03-23
About the Book
Visual Studio Code is superb. It offers an unparalleled user experience with great support for many languages and development ecosystems. It comes with great defaults and is super easy to use and to get started with.
Vim is awesome. It's modal nature and text editing features make it unique amongst other editors. Vim offers a complete different level of text editing proficiency, speed and accuracy from anything else out there.
The combination of both couldn't be anything less that amazingly superbsome (yep, I just did that).
In the next hour you'll boost your Visual Studio editing skills by bringing in lots of incredibly useful tools from the Vim editor right inside the comfort of your favorite editor: Visual Studio Code.
Here is what we're going to cover in this book:
- What is Vim? And Why Use Vim in VSCode?
- How to Install Vim in VSCode?
- Basic Surviving Skills in Vim
- Moving Blazingly Fast with Core Vim Motions
- Editing at The Speed of Thought With Vim Operators and Motions
- Vim's Secret Language
- Inserting Text a la Vim
- Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- Copy and Pasting Taking Advantage of Registers
- Surrounding Things with Vim Surround
- Moving Even Faster with the Sneak and EasyMotion Plugins
- Creating Custom Shortcuts to Make You More Effective
- Supercharging Multiple Cursors With Vim
- Creating Reusable Editing Units With Macros
- Integrating VSCode with Neovim For Maximum Awesomeness
This book doesn't assume any prior Vim knowledge so don't worry if you aren't familiar with Vim. I'll guide you through all the concepts and techniques you need to know to be effective with VSCode and Vim.
- About The Author
Introduction: Vim in VSCode
- What is Vim?
- Why Vim? Isn’t Visual Studio Code Enough?
- Installing Vim Inside Visual Studio Code
Your First Vim Baby Steps
- The Most Basic of Vim Motions
Moving Blazingly Fast With The Core Vim Motions
- Move Horizontally Word By Word
- Move To A Specific Character
- Move Horizontally Extremely
- To Move Vertically
- High Precision Vertical Motions With Search Pattern
- Moving Faster With Counts
- Moving Semantically
- And Some More Nifty Core Motions
- Summary And Some More Wisdom
Editing Like Magic With Vim Operators
- Taking Editing Up a Notch With Text Objects
- Repeating The Last Change with The Dot Operator
- More Shorthand Text Editing Commands
- Undoing and Redoing
- Summary And Yet More Wisdom
- Vim’s Secret Language
- Inserting Text a la Vim
Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- Switfly Operating On Search Matches
Pushing the Boundaries of Copying and Pasting
- Cutting Stuff In Vim
- Multi-Copying and Cutting with Registers
- Pasting in Insert Mode
Control VSCode With Command-line Mode
- Typing an Ex Command
- Saving and Closing Files
- Deleting Multiple Lines At Once
- Repeating Ex Commands
- Substituting Text
Splits, Tabs and Switching Between Them
- Surrounding Things With Vim Surround
- Why Custom Mappings?
- Creating Custom Mappings
- Guidelines For Creating Custom Mappings
- Customizing The Leader Key
- Some Good Custom Mappings
- Creating Custom Mappings To VSCode Actions
Moving Even Faster
- Multiple Cursors
Reusable Editing With Macros
- Creating a New Vim Macro
- Macros in Action
- Enhanced File Explorer, Panes and Palettes
Integrating VSCode With Neovim
- Installing Neovim
- Enabling Neovim Inside VSCode
- Using Neovim From VSCode
- Copying and Moving Lines Around
- The Normal Command
- The Global Command
- A Delete Caveat To Take Into Account
- Some handy Visual Studio Code only key mappings:
- Afterword: Where Should I Go From Here?
- Thank you!!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...