Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
About the Book
Visual Studio Code is superb. It offers an unparalleled user experience with great support for many languages and development ecosystems. It comes with great defaults and is super easy to use and to get started with.
Vim is awesome. It's modal nature and text editing features make it unique amongst other editors. Vim offers a complete different level of text editing proficiency, speed and accuracy from anything else out there.
The combination of both couldn't be anything less that amazingly superbsome (yep, I just did that).
In the upcoming days, and as you read these pages and practice, you will boost your Visual Studio editing skills incredibly. You'll become better by bringing in lots of useful tools from the Vim editor right inside the comfort of your favorite editor: Visual Studio Code.
You can read this book free online! If you enjoy it and find it useful, share it and consider buying a copy to help me sustain my authoring efforts.
Here is what we're going to cover in this book:
- What is Vim? And Why Use Vim in VSCode?
- How to Install Vim in VSCode?
- Basic Surviving Skills in Vim
- Moving Blazingly Fast with Core Vim Motions
- Editing at The Speed of Thought With Vim Operators and Motions
- Vim's Secret Language
- Inserting Text a la Vim
- Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- Copy and Pasting Taking Advantage of Registers
- Surrounding Things with Vim Surround
- Moving Even Faster with the Sneak and EasyMotion Plugins
- Creating Custom Shortcuts to Make You More Effective
- Supercharging Multiple Cursors With Vim
- Creating Reusable Editing Units With Macros
- Integrating VSCode with Neovim For Maximum Awesomeness
This book doesn't assume any prior Vim knowledge so don't worry if you aren't familiar with Vim. I'll guide you through all the concepts and techniques you need to know to be effective with VSCode and Vim.
Bundles that include this book
Table of Contents
- About The Author
1. Introduction: Vim in VSCode
- What is Vim?
- Why Vim? Isn’t Visual Studio Code Enough?
- A Brief Note About the Conventions Used in This Book
- Give Feedback Freely!
- 2. Installing Vim Inside Visual Studio Code
3. Your First Baby Steps in Vim
- Modes in Vim
- Normal Mode
4. Moving Blazingly Fast With The Core Vim Motions
- Move Horizontally Word By Word
- Move To A Specific Character
- Move Horizontally Extremely
- Moving Vertically
- High Precision Vertical Motions With Search Pattern
- Moving Faster With Counts
- Moving Semantically
- And Some More Nifty Core Motions
5. Editing Like Magic With Vim Operators
- Useful Operators
- Operator Shorthand Syntax
- Taking Editing Up a Notch With Text Objects
- Repeating The Last Change with The Dot Operator
- More Shorthand Text Editing Commands
- Undoing and Redoing
- 6. Vim’s Secret Language
- 7. Inserting Text a la Vim
- 8. Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- 9. Switfly Operating On Search Matches
10. Pushing the Boundaries of Copying and Pasting
- Cutting Stuff In Vim
- Multi-Copying and Cutting with Registers
- Pasting in Insert Mode
11. Control VSCode With Command-line Mode
- Typing an Ex Command
- Saving and Closing Files
- Deleting Multiple Lines At Once
- Repeating Ex Commands
- Substituting Text
12. Splits, Tabs and Switching Between Them
- 13. Surrounding Things With Vim Surround
14. Elevating Your Workflow With Custom Mappings
- Why Custom Mappings?
- Creating Custom Mappings
- Guidelines For Creating Custom Mappings
- Customizing The Leader Key
- Some Good Custom Mappings
- Creating Custom Mappings To VSCode Actions
15. Moving Even Faster
16. Multiple Cursors
- Add Multiple Cursors Based of Word Search
- Add Multiple Cursors On Consecutive Lines
17. Reusable Editing With Macros
- Creating a New Vim Macro
- Macros in Action
- 18. Enhanced File Explorer, Panes and Palettes
19. Integrating VSCode With Neovim
- Installing Neovim
- Enabling Neovim Inside VSCode
- Using Neovim From VSCode
- Copying and Moving Lines Around
- The Normal Command
- The Global Command
- A Delete Caveat To Take Into Account
- 20. Some handy Visual Studio Code only key mappings:
- 21. Afterword: Where Should I Go From Here?
- 22. Thank you!!
- 23. References
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them