Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
About the Book
Visual Studio Code is superb. It offers an unparalleled user experience with great support for many languages and development ecosystems. It comes with great defaults and is super easy to use and to get started with.
Vim is awesome. It's modal nature and text editing features make it unique amongst other editors. Vim offers a complete different level of text editing proficiency, speed and accuracy from anything else out there.
The combination of both couldn't be anything less that amazingly superbsome (yep, I just did that).
In the upcoming days, and as you read these pages and practice, you will boost your Visual Studio editing skills incredibly. You'll become better by bringing in lots of useful tools from the Vim editor right inside the comfort of your favorite editor: Visual Studio Code.
You can read this book free online! If you enjoy it and find it useful, share it and consider buying a copy to help me sustain my authoring efforts.
Here is what we're going to cover in this book:
- What is Vim? And Why Use Vim in VSCode?
- How to Install Vim in VSCode?
- Basic Surviving Skills in Vim
- Moving Blazingly Fast with Core Vim Motions
- Editing at The Speed of Thought With Vim Operators and Motions
- Vim's Secret Language
- Inserting Text a la Vim
- Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- Copy and Pasting Taking Advantage of Registers
- Surrounding Things with Vim Surround
- Moving Even Faster with the Sneak and EasyMotion Plugins
- Creating Custom Shortcuts to Make You More Effective
- Supercharging Multiple Cursors With Vim
- Creating Reusable Editing Units With Macros
- Integrating VSCode with Neovim For Maximum Awesomeness
This book doesn't assume any prior Vim knowledge so don't worry if you aren't familiar with Vim. I'll guide you through all the concepts and techniques you need to know to be effective with VSCode and Vim.
- About The Author
1. Introduction: Vim in VSCode
- What is Vim?
- Why Vim? Isn’t Visual Studio Code Enough?
- A Brief Note About the Conventions Used in This Book
- Give Feedback Freely!
- 2. Installing Vim Inside Visual Studio Code
3. Your First Baby Steps in Vim
- Modes in Vim
- Normal Mode
4. Moving Blazingly Fast With The Core Vim Motions
- Move Horizontally Word By Word
- Move To A Specific Character
- Move Horizontally Extremely
- Moving Vertically
- High Precision Vertical Motions With Search Pattern
- Moving Faster With Counts
- Moving Semantically
- And Some More Nifty Core Motions
5. Editing Like Magic With Vim Operators
- Useful Operators
- Operator Shorthand Syntax
- Taking Editing Up a Notch With Text Objects
- Repeating The Last Change with The Dot Operator
- More Shorthand Text Editing Commands
- Undoing and Redoing
- 6. Vim’s Secret Language
- 7. Inserting Text a la Vim
- 8. Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- 9. Switfly Operating On Search Matches
10. Pushing the Boundaries of Copying and Pasting
- Cutting Stuff In Vim
- Multi-Copying and Cutting with Registers
- Pasting in Insert Mode
11. Control VSCode With Command-line Mode
- Typing an Ex Command
- Saving and Closing Files
- Deleting Multiple Lines At Once
- Repeating Ex Commands
- Substituting Text
12. Splits, Tabs and Switching Between Them
- 13. Surrounding Things With Vim Surround
14. Elevating Your Workflow With Custom Mappings
- Why Custom Mappings?
- Creating Custom Mappings
- Guidelines For Creating Custom Mappings
- Customizing The Leader Key
- Some Good Custom Mappings
- Creating Custom Mappings To VSCode Actions
15. Moving Even Faster
16. Multiple Cursors
- Add Multiple Cursors Based of Word Search
- Add Multiple Cursors On Consecutive Lines
17. Reusable Editing With Macros
- Creating a New Vim Macro
- Macros in Action
- 18. Enhanced File Explorer, Panes and Palettes
19. Integrating VSCode With Neovim
- Installing Neovim
- Enabling Neovim Inside VSCode
- Using Neovim From VSCode
- Copying and Moving Lines Around
- The Normal Command
- The Global Command
- A Delete Caveat To Take Into Account
- 20. Some handy Visual Studio Code only key mappings:
- 21. Afterword: Where Should I Go From Here?
- 22. Thank you!!
- 23. References
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...