Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
Boost Your Coding Fu With VSCode and Vim
About the Book
Visual Studio Code is superb. It offers an unparalleled user experience with great support for many languages and development ecosystems. It comes with great defaults and is super easy to use and to get started with.
Vim is awesome. It's modal nature and text editing features make it unique amongst other editors. Vim offers a complete different level of text editing proficiency, speed and accuracy from anything else out there.
The combination of both couldn't be anything less that amazingly superbsome (yep, I just did that).
In the upcoming days, and as you read these pages and practice, you will boost your Visual Studio editing skills incredibly. You'll become better by bringing in lots of useful tools from the Vim editor right inside the comfort of your favorite editor: Visual Studio Code.
You can read this book free online! If you enjoy it and find it useful, share it and consider buying a copy to help me sustain my authoring efforts.
Here is what we're going to cover in this book:
- What is Vim? And Why Use Vim in VSCode?
- How to Install Vim in VSCode?
- Basic Surviving Skills in Vim
- Moving Blazingly Fast with Core Vim Motions
- Editing at The Speed of Thought With Vim Operators and Motions
- Vim's Secret Language
- Inserting Text a la Vim
- Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- Copy and Pasting Taking Advantage of Registers
- Surrounding Things with Vim Surround
- Moving Even Faster with the Sneak and EasyMotion Plugins
- Creating Custom Shortcuts to Make You More Effective
- Supercharging Multiple Cursors With Vim
- Creating Reusable Editing Units With Macros
- Integrating VSCode with Neovim For Maximum Awesomeness
This book doesn't assume any prior Vim knowledge so don't worry if you aren't familiar with Vim. I'll guide you through all the concepts and techniques you need to know to be effective with VSCode and Vim.
- About The Author
1. Introduction: Vim in VSCode
- What is Vim?
- Why Vim? Isn’t Visual Studio Code Enough?
- A Brief Note About the Conventions Used in This Book
- Give Feedback Freely!
- 2. Installing Vim Inside Visual Studio Code
3. Your First Baby Steps in Vim
- Modes in Vim
- Normal Mode
4. Moving Blazingly Fast With The Core Vim Motions
- Move Horizontally Word By Word
- Move To A Specific Character
- Move Horizontally Extremely
- Moving Vertically
- High Precision Vertical Motions With Search Pattern
- Moving Faster With Counts
- Moving Semantically
- And Some More Nifty Core Motions
5. Editing Like Magic With Vim Operators
- Useful Operators
- Operator Shorthand Syntax
- Taking Editing Up a Notch With Text Objects
- Repeating The Last Change with The Dot Operator
- More Shorthand Text Editing Commands
- Undoing and Redoing
- 6. Vim’s Secret Language
- 7. Inserting Text a la Vim
- 8. Selecting Text in Visual Mode
- 9. Switfly Operating On Search Matches
10. Pushing the Boundaries of Copying and Pasting
- Cutting Stuff In Vim
- Multi-Copying and Cutting with Registers
- Pasting in Insert Mode
11. Control VSCode With Command-line Mode
- Typing an Ex Command
- Saving and Closing Files
- Deleting Multiple Lines At Once
- Repeating Ex Commands
- Substituting Text
12. Splits, Tabs and Switching Between Them
- 13. Surrounding Things With Vim Surround
14. Elevating Your Workflow With Custom Mappings
- Why Custom Mappings?
- Creating Custom Mappings
- Guidelines For Creating Custom Mappings
- Customizing The Leader Key
- Some Good Custom Mappings
- Creating Custom Mappings To VSCode Actions
15. Moving Even Faster
16. Multiple Cursors
- Add Multiple Cursors Based of Word Search
- Add Multiple Cursors On Consecutive Lines
17. Reusable Editing With Macros
- Creating a New Vim Macro
- Macros in Action
- 18. Enhanced File Explorer, Panes and Palettes
19. Integrating VSCode With Neovim
- Installing Neovim
- Enabling Neovim Inside VSCode
- Using Neovim From VSCode
- Copying and Moving Lines Around
- The Normal Command
- The Global Command
- A Delete Caveat To Take Into Account
- 20. Some handy Visual Studio Code only key mappings:
- 21. Afterword: Where Should I Go From Here?
- 22. Thank you!!
- 23. References
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...
SurviveJS - Webpack + React
2 BooksGet both SurviveJS - Webpack and SurviveJS - React for a single price!