Executive Data Science
Executive Data Science
A Guide to Training and Managing the Best Data Scientists
About the Book
In this concise book you will learn what you need to know to begin assembling and leading a data science enterprise, even if you have never worked in data science before. You’ll get a crash course in data science so that you’ll be conversant in the field and understand your role as a leader. You’ll also learn how to recruit, assemble, evaluate, and develop a team with complementary skill sets and roles. You’ll learn the structure of the data science pipeline, the goals of each stage, and how to keep your team on target throughout. Finally, you’ll learn some down-to-earth practical skills that will help you overcome the common challenges that frequently derail data science projects.
If you are interested in a printed copy of this book, you can purchase one at Lulu.
Table of Contents
A Crash Course in Data Science
1. What is Data Science?
- Voter Turnout
- Engineering Solutions
- 2. What is Statistics Good For?
- 3. What is Machine Learning?
- 4. What is Software Engineering for Data Science?
- 5. Structure of a Data Science Project
- 6. Output of a Data Science Experiment
- 7. Defining Success: Four Secrets of a Successful Data Science Experiment
- 8. Data Science Toolbox
- 9. Separating Hype from Value
- 1. What is Data Science?
Building the Data Science Team
- 10. The Data Team
11. When Do You Need Data Science?
- The Startup
- The Mid-Sized Organization
- Large Organizations
12. Qualifications & Skills
- Data Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Data Science Manager
13. Assembling the Team
- Where to Find the Data Team
- Interviewing for Data Science
14. Management Strategies
- Onboarding the Data Science Team
- Managing the Team
15. Working With Other Teams
- Embedded vs. Dedicated
- How Does Data Science Interact with Other Groups?
- Empowering Others to Use Data
16. Common Difficulties
- Interaction Difficulties
- Internal Difficulties
Managing Data Analysis
17. The Data Analysis Iteration
- Epicycle of Analysis
18. Asking the Question
- Types of Questions
- 19. Exploratory Data Analysis
- What Are the Goals of Formal Modeling?
- Associational Analyses
- Prediction Analyses
- 21. Interpretation
- 22. Communication
- 17. The Data Analysis Iteration
Data Science in Real Life
23. What You’ve Gotten Yourself Into
- Data double duty
- Randomization versus observational studies
- 24. The Data Pull is Clean
25. The Experiment is Carefully Designed: Principles
26. The Experiment is Carefully Designed: Things to Do
- A/B testing
- Blocking and Adjustment
27. Results of the Analysis Are Clear
- Multiple comparisons
- Effect sizes, significance, modeling
- Comparison with benchmark effects
- Negative controls
28. The Decision is Obvious
- The decision is (not) obvious
- Estimation target is relevant
- 29. Analysis Product is Awesome
- About the Authors
- 23. What You’ve Gotten Yourself Into
Other books by these authors
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them