Essays on Data Analysis
Last updated on 2019-09-04
About the Book
What is a data analysis? What makes for a successful data analysis? These are difficult questions that even long-time practitioners have difficulty answering. The way that we have thought about data analysis to date has been focused on the data and the statistical tools that we employ to produce results. But data analysis is about more than those things, and developing an understanding of the things "outside" the data is critical to characterizing the actual process of data analysis, the process that data analysts go through every day.
This book attempts to draw a more complete picture of the data analysis process and presents a new view about what makes for a successful data analysis. It is presented in a completely non-technical and highly readable style that should be of interest to practitioners and managers in data analysis.
I Defining Data Analysis
- 1. The Question
- 2. What is Data Analysis?
- 3. Data Analysis as a Product
- 4. Context Compatibility
- 5. The Role of Resources
- 6. The Role of the Audience
- 7. The Data Analysis Narrative
II Data Analytic Process
- 8. Divergent and Convergent Phases of Data Analysis
- 9. Abductive Reasoning
- 10. Tukey, Design Thinking, and Better Questions
- 11. The Role of Creativity
- 12. Should the Data Come First?
- 13. Partitioning the Variation in Data
- 14. How Data Analysts Think - A Case Study
III Human Factors
- 15. Trustworthy Data Analysis
- 16. Relationships in Data Analysis
- 17. Being at the Center
IV Towards a Theory
- 18. The Role of Theory in Data Analysis
- 19. The Tentpoles of Data Science
- 20. Generative and Analytical Models
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.