Essays on Data Analysis
Essays on Data Analysis
About the Book
What is a data analysis? What makes for a successful data analysis? These are difficult questions that even long-time practitioners have difficulty answering. The way that we have thought about data analysis to date has been focused on the data and the statistical tools that we employ to produce results. But data analysis is about more than those things, and developing an understanding of the things "outside" the data is critical to characterizing the actual process of data analysis, the process that data analysts go through every day.
This book attempts to draw a more complete picture of the data analysis process and presents a new view about what makes for a successful data analysis. It is presented in a completely non-technical and highly readable style that should be of interest to practitioners and managers in data analysis.
I Defining Data Analysis
- 1. The Question
- 2. What is Data Analysis?
- 3. Data Analysis as a Product
- 4. Context Compatibility
- 5. The Role of Resources
- 6. The Role of the Audience
- 7. The Data Analysis Narrative
- 8. The Four Jobs of the Data Scientist
II Data Analytic Process
- 9. Divergent and Convergent Phases of Data Analysis
- 10. Abductive Reasoning
- 11. Tukey, Design Thinking, and Better Questions
- 12. The Role of Creativity
- 13. Should the Data Come First?
- 14. Partitioning the Variation in Data
- 15. How Data Analysts Think - A Case Study
III Human Factors
- 16. Trustworthy Data Analysis
- 17. Relationships in Data Analysis
- 18. Being at the Center
- 19. Economic Models for Reproducible Analysis
IV Towards a Theory
- 20. The Role of Theory in Data Analysis
- 21. The Tentpoles of Data Science
- 22. Generative and Analytical Models
- 23. Thinking About Failure in Data Analysis
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.