Wrinklefree jQuery and HTML5
Wrinklefree jQuery and HTML5
About the Book
Looking for paperback?
Check out the book on Lulu : http://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-keas/wrinklefree-jquery-and-html5/paperback/product-21139677.html
- Build familiarity with jQuery principles
- Learn new HTML5 features and APIs
- Build a toolset of coding techniques for building web apps
- Integrate jQuery and HTML5 into well-rounded web apps
- Learn to incorporate jQuery and HTML5 together to build new experiences in web applications
- Architect jQuery to build maintainable and scalable code
- Manage rendering and validating forms, interacting with editable content, setting default placeholders, and validating forms
- Dynamically save files to a browser's local filesystem, and asynchronously upload files to a server
- Access a webcam right from the browser, and create a photo-booth application that takes your picture
- Use multi-threading to build fast and fluid web apps that never stutter
- Implement real-time messaging, build live chat rooms and push notifications to a browser
- Write immersive audio and video applications
- Build interactive 3D interfaces with WebGL and HTML5 Canvas
Wrinklefree jQuery and HTML5:
This book starts with discussing HTML5 features, and then builds a common knowledge of new browser technologies, weaving the practice of using those libraries with the practice of writing jQuery plugins.
I have worked really hard over the past year to make this a great resource for acquiring knowledge of concepts falling under "HTML5" and others surrounding jQuery, in a step-wise fashion. Beginners with jQuery should be able to pick up this book and learn a ton. Advanced users will find themselves still learning all the trinkets and gizmos available, as there are some very advanced jQuery and HTML5 concepts involved in this book that many contractors earn USD $150k+ / year for specializing in them. After you've made it through the book, you'll be comfortable writing your own jQuery plugins and using HTML5 APIs to create unique and memorable user experiences.
All the chapter code is included and provided online, so that readers can follow along, or even use the code for whatever they want. (I believe in providing this code with a "Do Whatever the Fuck You Want License").
Grab your own copy today and support creativity, learning, and a better web community :)Don't Forget! You will get:
- An unending source of HTML5 and jQuery information; where chapters and example code will be constantly updated based on reviewer and reader feedback (that means YOU ARE IMPORTANT!)
- A professional contact/resource and a nice online friend -- @matthiasak :)
- Free (AS IN FREE) updates for the book, forever. This means all updates to this book and its code will be yours. I will even email you to let you know the changes and new content.
- My full attention. Because I am a writer representing himself, you get the opportunity to go through me, not a publisher. If you find something difficult to understand or have feedback for this book, hit me up and I will see what I can do to improve the book, its message, and its content.
This Book is Great for:
This book is great for developers who are a little familiar with jQuery, and are ready to graduate to writing their own plugins and architecting immersive web applications. It's assumed that you will have some experience with HTML and jQuery already, and be familiar with jQuery selectors, events, and utility functions. Knowledge of HTML5 APIs is not required, as many HTML5 features will be taught from the ground up.
If you are reading this and you haven't found the value proposition of this back enough to support the hundreds of hours I have already poured into this book, I would love to know why.
- Did this book not help you learn anything new?
- Does it not cover something you wanted to know?
1 Dynamic HTML5 Forms
- The cat registration form
- Basic Support
- Importing external scripts as templates
- jQuery events and delegates
- Examples on the Web
2 Geolocation API
- HTML5 Geolocation on the Web
- Geolocation API Support
- An Introduction
- Handling Errors
- The Coordinates Object
- Higher Accuracy Readings with Mobile Devices
- Example Project - “Dog Sitters Unite!”
- Building jQuery Plugins
- Boots’ Supporters Club – Beginning the jQuery plugin
3 HTML5 Local Storage
- The Local Key-Value Store
- HTML5 Local Storage Support
- Local Storage – An Introduction
- Listening for Changes Made to the Local Storage
- Limitations of HTML5 Local Storage
- Putting it all together
- The Problem
- The Project
- The Code
4 Reading Files with jQuery and HTML5 File API
- Testing Browser Support
- The Three Musketeers (of the File API)
- Alternative methods for selection – dragging and dropping
- Reading File Contents with the FileReader API
- Monitoring Progress
- Review from this Chapter
5 Webcam Access with jQuery
- Why WebRTC is Important
- Defining WebRTC Formally
- Browser Support for WebRTC
- When Not to Use WebRTC
- Lossy Versus Lossless Codecs
- The Open Web Platform is the Perfect Blend of Technologies
- Streaming Screen Capture
- Examples of WebRTC in Action
- Tools of the Trade
The Details of
- WebRTC and HTML5 Canvas
- The HTML
- Determining Support
Defining the Options for
- Grabbing a screenshot
- Putting It All Together
6 Web Workers
- Examples of Web Workers
- Browser Support
- Detecting Support
- Running Examples
- When Not To Use Web Workers
- Defining Web Workers Formally
- Limitations of Web Workers
- The Properties of Web Workers
- Spawning a new Web Worker
- Communicating with a Web Worker
- Terminating a Web Worker
- Shared Web Workers
- Capturing Errors from Web Workers
- Using Web Workers in our Own Web Applications
- Using Web Workers with Libraries
- The Benefits of WebSockets
- When to Use or Not Use WebSockets
- Examples of WebSockets in Use
- Browsers Currently Supporting WebSockets
- Server Side WebSocket Frameworks
- The WebSocket API - Getting Started
- Same Origin Policy and WebSockets
Encapsulating WebSockets with
- Coding our example application - Boots’ Return!
8 HTML5 Audio, Video and jQuery
- Examples of HTML5 Audio and Video
- Browsers Currently Supporting HTML Video and Audio
- Audio File Support
- Video File Support
- HTML5 Audio and Video Attributes
- HTML5 Audio and jQuery
- HTML5 Video and jQuery
- Reader Challenge
- HTML5 Video and SVG
- The Fullscreen API
9 HTML5 Canvas
- Browser Support for HTML5 Canvas
- Canvas - The Basics
- Why To Choose Canvas
- Simple Drawing
- Working With Paths
- Bezier Curves
- The Coordinate System
- Mixing With jQuery
- Which Browsers Currently Support WebGL?
- WebGL - The Basics
- Getting out of Clipspace
- Setting Variables in the Shaders
- Drawing Images with WebGL
- A Final Word on the Variable Types in Shaders
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.