QUANTUM MECHANICS II
QUANTUM MECHANICS II
Notes and problems from UofT PHY456H1F 2012
About the Book
These are my personal lecture notes for the Fall 2011, University of Toronto Quantum mechanics II course (PHY456H1F), taught by Prof. John E Sipe.
- Document Version
- List of Figures
- 1 Approximate methods.
- 1.1 Approximate methods for finding energy eigenvalues and eigenkets.
- 1.2 Variational principle.
- 2 Perturbation methods.
- 2.1 States and wave functions.
- 2.2 Excited states.
- 2.3 Problems.
- 3 Time independent perturbation.
- 3.1 Time independent perturbation.
- 3.2 Issues concerning degeneracy.
- 3.3 Examples.
- 4 Time dependent perturbation.
- 4.1 Review of dynamics.
- 4.2 Interaction picture.
- 4.3 Justifying the Taylor expansion above (not class notes).
- 4.4 Recap: Interaction picture.
- 4.5 Time dependent perturbation theory.
- 4.6 Perturbation expansion.
- 4.7 Time dependent perturbation.
- 4.8 Sudden perturbations.
- 4.9 Adiabatic perturbations.
- 4.10 Adiabatic perturbation theory (cont.)
- 4.11 Examples.
- 5 Fermi's golden rule.
- 5.1 Recap. Where we got to on Fermi's golden rule.
- 5.2 Fermi's Golden rule.
- 5.3 Problems.
- 6 WKB Method.
- 6.1 WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) Method.
- 6.2 Turning points..
- 6.3 Examples.
- 7 Composite systems.
- 7.1 Hilbert Spaces.
- 7.2 Operators.
- 7.3 Generalizations.
- 7.4 Recalling the Stern-Gerlach system from PHY354.
- 8 Spin and Spinors.
- 8.1 Generators.
- 8.2 Generalizations.
- 8.3 Multiple wavefunction spaces.
- 9 Two state kets and Pauli matrices.
- 9.1 Representation of kets.
- 9.2 Representation of two state kets.
- 9.3 Pauli spin matrices.
- 10 Rotation operator in spin space.
- 10.1 Formal Taylor series expansion.
- 10.2 Spin dynamics.
- 10.3 The hydrogen atom with spin.
- 11 Two spins, angular momentum, and Clebsch-Gordon.
- 11.1 Two spins.
- 11.2 More on two spin systems.
- 11.3 Recap: table of two spin angular momenta.
- 11.4 Tensor operators.
- 12 Rotations of operators and spherical tensors.
- 12.1 Setup.
- 12.2 Infinitesimal rotations.
- 12.3 A problem.
- 12.4 How do we extract these buried simplicities?
- 12.5 Motivating spherical tensors.
- 12.6 Spherical tensors (cont.)
- 13 Scattering theory.
- 13.1 Setup.
- 13.2 1D QM scattering. No potential wave packet time evolution.
- 13.3 A Gaussian wave packet.
- 13.4 With a potential.
- 13.5 Considering the time independent case temporarily.
- 13.6 Recap.
- 14 3D Scattering.
- 14.1 Setup.
- 14.2 Seeking a post scattering solution away from the potential.
- 14.3 The radial equation and its solution.
- 14.4 Limits of spherical Bessel and Neumann functions.
- 14.5 Back to our problem.
- 14.6 Scattering geometry and nomenclature.
- 14.7 Appendix.
- 14.8 Verifying the solution to the spherical Bessel equation.
- 14.9 Scattering cross sections.
- 15 Born approximation.
- A Harmonic oscillator Review.
- A.1 Problems.
- B Simple entanglement example.
- C Problem set 4, problem 2 notes.
- D Adiabatic perturbation revisited.
- E 2nd order adiabatically Hamiltonian.
- F Degeneracy and diagonalization.
- F.1 Motivation.
- F.2 A four state Hamiltonian.
- F.3 Generalizing slightly.
- G Review of approximation results.
- G.1 Motivation.
- G.2 Variational method.
- G.3 Time independent perturbation.
- G.4 Degeneracy.
- G.5 Interaction picture.
- G.6 Time dependent perturbation.
- G.7 Sudden perturbations.
- G.8 Adiabatic perturbations.
- G.9 WKB.
- H Clebsh-Gordan zero coefficients.
- H.1 Motivation.
- H.2 Recap on notation.
- H.3 The \(J_z\) action.
- I One more adiabatic perturbation derivation.
- I.1 Motivation.
- I.2 Build up.
- I.3 Adiabatic case.
- I.4 Summary.
- J Time dependent perturbation revisited.
- K Second form of adiabatic approximation.
- L Verifying the Helmholtz Green's function.
- M Mathematica notebooks.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Thinking with TypesSandy Maguire
This book aims to be the comprehensive manual for type-level programming. It's about getting you from here to there---from a competent Haskell programmer to one who convinces the compiler to do their work for them.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...