About the Book
The book is based on the material of the most popular Perl Tutorial found on the Perl Maven site. Its creation was supported by 100 people in a crowdfunding campaign in March 2018. The book covers the basics of the Perl programming language. It introduces all the concepts you need to know to put together a Perl script or take apart one written by someone else.
The book explains both the plain Perl version of doing things if you need to maintain Perl code running on an older version of Perl. It also shows you modern, cleaner and shorter approaches for when you have the freedom to use a recent version of Perl and CPAN modules.
- Error reporting
- v0.06 2018-05-05
- v0.05 2018-04-04
- v0.04 2018-03-24
- Perl tutorial
- Installing and getting started with Perl
- The Hash-bang line, or how to make a Perl scripts executable on Linux
- Perl Editor
- How to get Help for Perl?
- Perl on the command line
- Core Perl documentation and CPAN module documentation
- POD - Plain Old Documentation
- Debugging Perl scripts
- Common Warnings and Error messages in Perl
- Prompt, read from STDIN, read from the keyboard in Perl
- Automatic string to number conversion or casting in Perl
- Conditional statements, using if, else, elsif in Perl
- Boolean values in Perl
- Numerical operators
- String operators: concatenation (.), repetition (x)
- undef, the initial value and the defined function of Perl
- Strings in Perl: quoted, interpolated and escaped
- Here documents, or how to create multi-line strings in Perl
- Scalar variables
- Comparing scalars in Perl
- String functions: length, lc, uc, index, substr
- Number Guessing game
- while loop
- Scope of variables in Perl
- Short-circuit in boolean expressions
- How to exit from a Perl script?
- Standard output, standard error and command line redirection
- Warning when something goes wrong
- What does die do?
- Writing to files with Perl
- Appending to files
- Open and read from text files
- Don’t Open Files in the old way
- Reading and writing binary files in Perl
- EOF - End of file in Perl
- tell how far have we read a file
- slurp mode - reading a file in one step
Lists and Arrays
- Perl for loop explained with examples
- Perl Arrays
- Processing command line arguments - @ARGV in Perl
- How to process command line arguments in Perl using Getopt::Long
- Advanced usage of Getopt::Long for accepting command line arguments
- Perl split - to cut up a string into pieces
- How to read a CSV file using Perl?
- The year of 19100
- Scalar and List context in Perl, the size of an array
- Reading from a file in scalar and list context
- STDIN in scalar and list context
- Sorting arrays in Perl
- Sorting mixed strings
- Unique values in an array in Perl
- Manipulating Perl arrays: shift, unshift, push, pop
- Reverse Polish Calculator in Perl using a stack
- Using a queue in Perl
- Reverse an array, a string or a number
- The ternary operator in Perl
- min, max, sum in Perl using List::Util
- qw - quote word
- Subroutines and functions in Perl
- Passing multiple parameters to a function in Perl
- Variable number of parameters in Perl subroutines
- Understanding recursive subroutines - traversing a directory tree
- Hashes in Perl
- Creating a hash from an array in Perl
- Perl hash in scalar and list context
- exists - check if a key exists in a hash
- How to sort a hash in Perl?
- Count the frequency of words in text using Perl
- Introduction to Regexes in Perl 5
- Regex character classes
- Regex: special character classes
- Perl 5 Regex Quantifiers
- trim - removing leading and trailing white spaces with Perl
- Perl 5 Regex Cheat sheet
Shell related functionality
- What are -e, -z, -s, -M, -A, -C, -r, -w, -x, -o, -f, -d , -l in Perl?
- Current working directory in Perl (cwd, pwd)
- Running external programs from Perl with system
- How to remove, copy or rename a file with Perl
- Reading the content of a directory
- Traversing the filesystem - using a queue
- Download and install Perl
- Installing a Perl Module from CPAN on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX
- How to change @INC to find Perl modules in non-standard locations
- How to add a relative directory to @INC
Examples for using Perl
- How to replace a string in a file with Perl
- How to read an Excel file in Perl
- How to create an Excel file with Perl?
- Sending HTML e-mail using Email::Stuffer
- Perl/CGI script with Apache2
- JSON in Perl
- Simple Database access using Perl DBI and SQL
- Reading from LDAP in Perl using Net::LDAP
Common warnings and error messages
- Global symbol requires explicit package name
- Variable declaration in Perl
- Use of uninitialized value
- Barewords in Perl
- Name “main::x” used only once: possible typo at …
- Unknown warnings category
- Can’t use string (…) as an HASH ref while “strict refs” in use at …
- Symbolic references in Perl
- Can’t locate … in @INC
- Scalar found where operator expected
- “my” variable masks earlier declaration in same scope
- Can’t call method … on unblessed reference
- Argument … isn’t numeric in numeric …
- Can’t locate object method “…” via package “1” (perhaps you forgot to load “1”?)
- AUTOLOAD - handling Undefined subroutines
- Useless use of hash element in void context
- Useless use of private variable in void context
- readline() on closed filehandle in Perl
- Possible precedence issue with control flow operator
- Scalar value … better written as …
- substr outside of string at …
- Have exceeded the maximum number of attempts (1000) to open temp file/dir
- Multi dimensional arrays in Perl
- Multi dimensional hashes in Perl
- Minimal requirement to build a sane CPAN package
- Statement modifiers: reversed if statements
- What is autovivification?
From other books
- Splice to slice and dice arrays in Perl
- How to improve my Perl program?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Advanced Product Management
3 BooksGet The Art of Strategy, Product Discovery and Lean Product Management with a 20% discount.