The Node Craftsman Book
The Node Craftsman Book
An advanced Node.js tutorial
About the Book
- How can you connect to a database like MongoDB or MySQL from your Node.js application?
- How do you write unit tests and end-to-end tests for your code?
- How do you leverage migrations for setting up a continuous deployment workflow?
- How does the Node Package Manager, NPM, work in detail?
- How do you keep your code fast and efficient by leveraging asynchronous and non-blocking operations?
- How do you use and create event emitters?
- How do you write full-fledged web applications using REST frameworks?
- How do you integrate Node.js with AngularJS?
- ...and much more!
- Special notice
- Notes on code formatting
- Intended audience
Part 1: Node.js basics in detail
- Introduction to Part 1
- Working with NPM and Packages
- Test-Driven Node.js Development
- Blueprints versus finger-pointing
- A classless society
- Creating objects
- Object-orientation, prototyping, and inheritance
- A classless society, revisited
Synchronous and Asynchronous operations explained
- Visualizing the Node.js execution model
- Blocking and non-blocking operations
Using and creating Event Emitters
- Creating your own Event Emitter object
Optimizing code performance and control flow management using the async library
- Executing expensive asynchronous background tasks in parallel
- Optimizing code structure with async
Efficient real-time web applications with the WebSocket protocol
- Where WebSocket connections beat HTTP connections
- How WebSocket connections work
- How to use WebSocket connections in your web application
- Extending the application
Node.js and MySQL
- Using the “mysql” library
- A first database application
- Using the Streaming API
- Making SQL queries secure against attacks
Node.js and MongoDB
- Some MongoDB basics
- Applying CRUD operations with the low-level mongodb driver
- Retrieving specific documents using filters
- More complex update operations
- Working with indexes
- Querying collections efficiently
Part 2: Building a complete web application with Node.js and AngularJS
- The requirements from a user’s perspective
- High level architecture overview
- Setting up the development environment
- Milestone 1: A first passing test against the server
Milestone 2: The API responds with actual database content
- Abstracting database access
- Ensuring a clean slate for test runs
- Completing the first spec
Milestone 3: Setting the stage for a continuous delivery workflow
- Introducing automatic database migrations
Milestone 4: Giving users a frontend
- Setting up frontend dependencies through bower
- Serving the frontend through the backend server
- Adding the frontend code
- Adding AngularJS view templates
Milestone 5: More work on the backend
- Adding a route for retrieving categories
- Making the backend recognize different environments
Milestone 6: Completing the backend and finalizing the application
- Creating the route for adding new keywords
- Creating the route for updating keywords
- Creating the route for deleting keywords
- One last thing…
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Advanced Product Management
3 BooksGet The Art of Strategy, Product Discovery and Lean Product Management with a 20% discount.