Beautiful and functional configuration files using literate programming
About the Book
This booklet will teach you about Literate Configuration, which is the application of Literate Programming to configuration files. Literate Programming can be especially applicable to configuration files for the following reasons:
- Configuration files are inherently focused, since they correspond to a single application, program or set of programs, all related. This makes it easier to draw a narrative for them;
- Most configuration files are self-contained but their structure and syntax may not be immediately evident, so they benefit from a human-readable explanation of their contents;
- Configuration files are often shared and read by others, as we all like to learn by reading the config files of other people. Applying Literate Programming to config files makes them much easier to share, since their explanation is naturally woven into the code;
Org-mode is a powerful and simple markup language for general writing, but with unique features that make it easy to include code within the text, and even further, to easily extract that code into stand-alone source files which can be interpreted by their corresponding programs.
Whether you already use Emacs and org-mode or not, you will find value in this book by seeing how uniquely Literate Programming can help you better write, maintain, understand and share your config files.
1 Literate Programming
- Org mode
2 The Tools and Process
- Emacs and Org mode
- How it works
- Configuring Emacs and Org for literate programming
- Structure of a literate config file
3 Tips and tricks
- Converting your existing config files
- Using noweb references to structure your code
- Multiple config files per org file
- 1 Literate Programming
Literate config examples
- Doom config file overview
- Doom modules
- General configuration
- Org mode
- Other tools
- General variables and configuration
- Spoon Management
- BetterTouchTool integration (experimental)
- URL dispatching to site-specific browsers
- Window and screen manipulation
- Organization and Productivity
- System and UI
- Other applications
- Seal application launcher/controller
- Network transitions
- Pop-up translation
- Leanpub integration
- Showing application keybindings
- Loading private configuration
- End-of-config animation
- Package installation
- Automatic proxy settings
- General modules and settings
- Aliases and miscellaneous functions
- Prompt theme
- iTerm2 shell integration support
- Long-running-command notifications
- Directory and command navigation and history
- Dynamic terminal title
- Loading private settings
- O’Reilly Atlas
- Environment variables
- Utility functions
- Work-specific stuff
- Exporting aliases
- 4 Emacs
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.