The Leanpub Flavoured Markdown Manual
The Leanpub Flavoured Markdown Manual
About the Book
This is the manual for Leanpub Flavoured Markdown, which is one of the two plain-text writing modes on Leanpub. Leanpub Flavoured Markdown came first; Markua is its replacement. Both LFM and Markua are dialects of Markdown. Markua is newer and better than LFM, but there are still some advanced features in Markua that aren't finished yet.
To write in LFM or Markua, you need to be in Dropbox, GitHub or Bitbucket writing mode, or you need to be writing in the Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor. The Leanpub Visual Editor, Google Docs and Bring Your Own Book mode do not support LFM or Markua formatting.
There are six good reasons to write a book in Markua:
1. Markua is better than LFM. A lot better. Markua fixes the many mistakes we made with LFM.
2. Markua is the future of Leanpub.
3. Markua has more features than LFM.
4. If you want to create a course on Leanpub, you need to use Markua.
5. The Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor is better with Markua now, and it's going to be way better soon. (We're working on an upgrade to the Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor which will only be available for Markua books.)
6. The Markua Manual is newer and better than the Leanpub Flavoured Markdown Manual.
There are two good reasons to write a book in LFM:
1. You already started your book in LFM and you don't want to convert it yet.
2. You are writing a translation of a book which is written in LFM.
- Leanpub Flavoured Markdown vs. Markua
- Switching Writing Modes
- Scope of this Manual
Book.txt, Sample.txt and Manuscript Files
- The Book.txt File
- Making a Sample Book for Readers to Browse for Free
- Adding Images or Pictures to Your Book
- A Note About Character Encoding
- How Markdown is Used in Leanpub
Creating A New Book
- How To Set The Book’s Structure
- Why Sample Books?
- Consequences for Manuscripts
- How To Insert An Image
- Image Format And Resolution
- Positioning An Image On The Page
Languages and Letter Accents
- Setting the Main Language Used in the Book
- Overriding Leanpub Language Defaults
- Switching back and forth between language fonts
- A note about writing Leanpub books in Japanese, Korean and Chinese
- A note about writing Leanpub books in right-to-left (RTL) languages
Parts, Chapters and Sections
- Chapters, Sections and Sub-sections
- Table of Contents
- Front Matter, Main Matter and Back Matter
- Bold, Emphasis/Italics, and Underlining
- Monospaced Text
- Non-Breaking Spaces
Blocks Of Text
- Centering Paragraphs Or Lines Of Text
- Numbered/Ordered Lists
- Unordered/Bulleted Lists
- Definition Lists
- More Text Block Types
- Generic Boxes
- Code Samples
- Code Sample Titles
- Marking lines as deleted or added to a code block
- Poetry Stanzas in Regular Markdown
- Spacing Control for Poetry
- Line Lengths
- Formatting Links
- Long Hyperlinks
- Footnotes and Hyperlinks in PDF
Footnotes and Endnotes
- Remove Footnotes
- Quick Explanation
- Longer Explanation
- Crosslinking to something with an ID
- Some Crosslink Details
- Line Breaks
- Table Width
- Multi-line rows
- Alignment and footer rows
- Table Titles
- HTML Tables
- A note on combining attributes
- Escaping Markdown Syntax Characters
- How To Exclude Lines From Your Book
- Mathematical Equations
- Curly Quotes
- Figure Captions and Labels
- Links In Footnotes
- Why can’t I put section commands in Book.txt?
- Trouble With Accents? Forcing Text Editors To Save As UTF-8
- I don’t understand how things get added to a Table of Contents
- What encoding should I use to write files in Markdown? Should I write in ASCII or UTF-8?
- How Can I Add Blank Lines To My Text?
- Adding a motto or epigraph to the beginning of a chapter
- Disabling Line Numbers While Nesting Code Blocks In Lists
- Hanging Indents
- Long strings of characters running off the right-hand side of the page / the right margin
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...