About the Book
This is the manual for Leanpub Flavoured Markdown, which is one of the two plain-text writing modes on Leanpub. Leanpub Flavoured Markdown came first; Markua is its replacement. Both LFM and Markua are dialects of Markdown. Markua is newer and better than LFM, but there are still some advanced features in Markua that aren't finished yet.
To write in LFM or Markua, you need to be in Dropbox, GitHub or Bitbucket writing mode, or you need to be writing in the Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor. The Leanpub Visual Editor, Google Docs and Bring Your Own Book mode do not support LFM or Markua formatting.
There are six good reasons to write a book in Markua:
1. Markua is better than LFM. A lot better. Markua fixes the many mistakes we made with LFM.
2. Markua is the future of Leanpub.
3. Markua has more features than LFM.
4. If you want to create a course on Leanpub, you need to use Markua.
5. The Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor is better with Markua now, and it's going to be way better soon. (We're working on an upgrade to the Leanpub In-Browser Text Editor which will only be available for Markua books.)
6. The Markua Manual is newer and better than the Leanpub Flavoured Markdown Manual.
There are two good reasons to write a book in LFM:
1. You already started your book in LFM and you don't want to convert it yet.
2. You are writing a translation of a book which is written in LFM.
About the Author
Peter Armstrong is the founder and CEO of Leanpub. He has over two decades of experience in software, including eight years as a developer at Silicon Valley startups. He founded Ruboss in 2008, and launched Leanpub in 2010.
Peter coined the term Lean Publishing. Lean Publishing is the act of publishing an in-progress book using lightweight tools and many iterations to get reader feedback, pivot until you have the right book and build traction once you do.
Peter is the creator of Markua, the Markdown dialect used on Leanpub. He is the author of a number of books, including Lean Publishing, The Markua Manual and Programming for Kids. He has a BSc in Computer Science and Psychology from the University of Victoria.
He lives in Victoria, BC with his wife and son.