Unleash the power of automation on your Mac
About the Book
In this book you will learn how to use Hammerspoon, a powerful open-source framework which makes using a Mac more pleasant, productive and fun. It enables interaction with the system at multiple layers—from low-level file system or network access, mouse or keyboard event capture and generation, all the way to manipulating applications or windows, processing URLs and drawing on the screen. It also allows interfacing with AppleScript, the most common mechanism for automation on the Mac. Hammerspoon configuration is written in Lua, a popular embedded programming language.
Using Hammerspoon, you can replace many stand-alone Mac utilities for controlling or customizing specific aspects of your Mac (those that tend to overcrowd the menubar). Here are some examples of things you can do with it:
- Add missing or more convenient keyboard shortcuts to applications, even for complex multi-step actions. For example: automated tagging and filing in Evernote, mail archival in Mail or Outlook, filing items from multiple applications to OmniFocus using consistent keyboard shortcuts, or muting/unmuting a conversation in Skype.
- Manipulate windows using keyboard shortcuts to resize, move and arrange them.
- Dispatch URLs to different browsers based on regular expression patterns. When combined with Site-specific Browsers, this allows for highly flexible management of bookmarks, plugins and search configurations.
- Replace Spotlight, Lacona and other launchers with a fully configurable, extensible launcher, which allows not only to open applications, files and bookmarks, but to trigger arbitrary Lua functions.
- Set up actions to happen automatically when switching between WiFi networks—for example, for reconfiguring proxies in some applications.
- Keyboard-triggered translation of selected text between arbitrary human languages.
- Keep a configurable and persistent clipboard history.
- Automatically pause audio playback when headphones are unplugged.
In this book you will learn how to get started with Hammerspoon, how to use pre-made modules, and how to write your own, to achieve an unprecedented level of control over your Mac.
Preface to the early release
- Release notes
- Mac automation
- What will you learn?
- Conventions Used in This Book
3 Getting started with Hammerspoon
- What is Hammerspoon?
- How does Hammerspoon work?
- Installing Hammerspoon
- Your first Hammerspoon configuration
- The Hyper key
- Keeping private information separate
- Debugging tools and the Hammerspoon console
4 Using Spoons in Hammerspoon
- Using a Spoon to locate your mouse
- Automated Spoon installation and configuration
5 Just enough Lua to be productive with Hammerspoon
- Flow control
- Dot-vs-colon method access in Lua
- Tables as namespaces
- String manipulation
- Learning more Lua
6 DRAFT Exploring the Hammerspoon API
- Events and Hotkeys
- Window, Menus and Screen Manipulation
- On-screen Drawing, Images and Alerts
- Application and Process Manipulation
- Sound and Music
- Networking and Web
- System and Device Manipulation
- Data Processing and Utilities
- Hammerspoon itself
7 DRAFT Hammerspoon cookbook, tips and tricks
- Tip: be mindful of garbage collection
- Show Homebrew package info
- Tip: using asynchronous methods
- Transform URLs before opening them
- Other resources and configuration examples
8 Writing your own extensions and Spoons
- Writing a new Spoon
- Writing a Hammerspoon extension in Lua
9 Using and extending Seal
- Using Seal
- Writing your own Seal plugins
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Technical leadership and the balance with agilitySimon Brown
A developer-friendly, practical and pragmatic guide to lightweight software architecture, technical leadership and the balance with agility.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
The Python Craftsman
3 BooksThe Python Craftsman series comprises The Python Apprentice, The Python Journeyman, and The Python Master. The first book is primarily suitable for for programmers with some experience of programming in another language. If you don't have any experience with programming this book may be a bit daunting. You'll be learning not just a programming...
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...