Last updated on 2016-12-24
About the Book
Functions are very interesting building blocks for programs, because they compose: It’s easy to build a programming style based on making many small things that can be combined and recombined to make bigger things.
Go ahead, read it for yourself. It’s free.
- Taking a page out of LiSP
The Big Idea
- Data Structures
- Encapsulating State with Closures
- Composition and Extension
- This and That
- What Context Applies When We Call a Function?
- Extending Objects
- Records and Value Objects
- Hiding Object Properties
Instances and Prototypes
- Prototypes are Simple, it’s the Explanations that are Hard To Understand
- Binding Functions to Contexts
- Object Methods
- Extending Objects with Delegation
- What is a Method?
- The Letter and the Spirit of the Law
- Composite Methods
- Method Objects
- Predicate Dispatch
- Why Metaobjects?
- Mixins, Forwarding, and Delegation
- Later Binding
- Conflict Resolution Policies
- Delegation via Prototypes
- Singleton Prototypes
- Shared Prototypes
- Metaobjects and “self”
- Interlude: Greenspun’s Tenth Rule
Encapsulation and Composition
- The Encapsulation Problem
- Encapsulation for Metaobjects
- Encapsulation and Self
- Closing Encapsulated Objects
- Decoupling with Partial Proxies
- Composing Metaobjects
- Transforming and Decorating Metaobjects
- Playing Well with Classes
Inheritance, Ontologies, and Semantic Types
- Class Hierarchies
- Getting the Semantics Right
- Structural vs. Semantic Typing
- Interlude: “is-a” and “was-a”
- The Expression Problem
- Multiple Dispatch
- The Class Class
- Class Mixins
- Well, Actually…
Source Code Examples
- Object Recipes
- Greenspun’s Tenth Rule
- Encapsulation and Composition
- Utility Functions
- Copyright Notice
- About The Author
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.