An intense cup of code
About the Book
"Loving CoffeeScript Ristretto!"—Larry Marburger
"I was also seriously caught up by [the] digression into espresso, ristretto, etc.Worth the purchase just for the intro."—Chris Smith
"Best explanation of closures i've seen yet."—Jerry Anning
CoffeeScript Ristretto is a book about programming with functions that uses the CoffeeScript programming language for the examples and exercises. CoffeeScript Ristretto is for:
- Programmers learning CoffeeScript who want a thorough grounding in its fundamentals rather than a cursory treatment of its syntax.
- Programmers already using CoffeeScript who want to go back and take a deep dive into programming with functions and combinators.
- Any programmer curious about programming with functions.
CoffeeScript Ristretto's primary focus is functions as first-class values and advanced topics built on those fundamentals such as callbacks, combinators, method decorators, fluent APIs, and continuation-passing style. Download two free sample chapters and see for yourself!
A Pull of the Lever: Prefaces
- About This Book
- Foreword by Jeremy Ashkenas
Prelude: Values and Expressions
- values and expressions
- values and identity
- CoffeeScript Ristretto
The first sip: Functions
- As Little As Possible About Functions, But No Less
- Ah. I’d Like to Have an Argument, Please.
- Closures and Scope
Slurp: More About Functions and Scope
- Let Me Show You What To Do
- A Simple Question
- Making Things Easy
References, Identity, Arrays, and Objects
- arguments and arrays
- references and objects
Stir the Espresso: Objects, Mutation, and State
- Reassignment and Mutation
- Normal Variables
- Encapsulating State with Closures
- Composition and Extension
- This and That
Finish the Cup: Instances and Classes
- Prototypes are Simple, it’s the Explanations that are Hard To Understand
- A Touch of Class
- Object Methods
- This Section Needs No Title
- Extending Classes
An Extra Shot of Ideas
- Refactoring to Combinators
- Method Decorators
- Callbacks and Promises
A Golden Crema
- How to run the examples
- Copyright Notice
- About The Author
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.