Gson Workbook (The Workbook)
This book is 90% complete
Last updated on 2016-10-31
About the Book
We’ve published a book on Gson, which is designed to give you an in-depth learning experience. We specifically tailored it for every Java application and not just Retrofit developers.
The idea of this workbook is three-fold:
Give the readers of the Gson book a specific playground to practice the learned theory
Let experienced Gson users test their knowledge
Offer a way to learn Gson for people who don’t like reading technical books and rather experiment on their own.
We cover a lot of aspect of Gson in this workbook. We’ve roughly 40 tasks for you. If you wish, you can use our project framework. Automated unit tests will tell you if your implementation for that particular task was correct. Of course, every task comes with a sample solution.
The list below provides a comprehensive overview of covered topics within the book.
Introduction to JSON & JSON-Java mapping
Mapping of various Java data type
Dive into Gson’s configuration & customization options
Multiple tasks on Custom Serializer & Custom Deserializer
Four Advanced topics (Streaming, Low-Level-Parsing, …)
Christian is an experienced Software Engineer and consultant working with a wide variety of companies, ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
His experiences range across a number of fields and technologies, including web and game development, virtual reality and machine learning.
Christian is an all-round nerd, passionate about outstanding design and creating innovational user experiences.
He has given training to many developers and students since 2011; explaining state of the art technologies and project management methodologies.
Christian has a BSc degree in Computer Systems in Engineering from the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
Find him on Twitter: @celsiusF.
Marcus is an enthusiastic Android & Java developer. He’s developed multiple production-ready client and server applications. While following the core principle of performance for client apps, he also builds REST+JSON APIs that focus on clear and consistent design.
Besides his day job, sharing knowledge and teaching others has become a characteristic he never wants to miss.
Marcus has a Master’s degree in computer science from the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
Feel free to get in touch on Twitter @marcuspoehls.
About the Workbook
- What Topics Are Covered in This Book?
Chapter 0 — Workbook Basics
- Task Structure
Chapter 1 — Introduction to Java-JSON Mapping
- A1: Basic Serialization
- A2: Basic Deserialization
Chapter 2 — JSON Mapping with Gson
- B1: Serialization of Nested Objects
- B2: Deserialization of Nested Objects
- B3: Serialization of Nested Java Arrays
- B4: Deserialization of a Java Arrays
- B5: Serialization of Java Lists
- B6: Deserialization of Java Lists
- B7: Serialization of Java Objects With Nested Lists
- B8: Deserialization of Java Objects With Nested Lists
- B9: Serialization of Java Maps
- B10: Deserialization of Java Maps
- B11: Serialization of Java Sets
- B12: Deserialization of Java Sets
Chapter 3 — Gson Model Annotations
- C1: Exclude Model Properties During Serialization
- C2: Exclude Model Properties During Deserialization
- C3: Configuration of Exclusion During Serialization & Deserialization
- C4: Changing Property Name For Serialization
- C5: Changing Property Name For Deserialization
- C6: Changing Property Name For Serialization & Deserialization
Chapter 4 — Configuring Gson with GsonBuilder
D1: Mapping of
- D2: Exclude Model Properties By Modifier
- D3: Special Values of Floats & Doubles
- D4: Versioning of Java Models
- D5: Customization of Java Date Mapping (1)
- D6: Customization of Java Date Mapping (2)
- D7: HTML Escaping
- D1: Mapping of
Chapter 5 — Advanced Gson Usage
- E1: Serialization of Java Enums
- E2: Deserialization & Customization of Java Enums
- E3: Mapping of Circular References
- E4: Custom Serialization (1)
- E5: Custom Serialization (2)
- E6: Custom Deserialization
- E7: Custom Instance Creators
Chapter 6 — Complex Tasks
- F1: Low-Level Parsing With Gson
- F2: Mapping of Polymorphic Lists
- F3: Serializing on Java Streams
- F4: Deserializing on Java Streams
Future Studio Books
- Future Studio Bundle
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.