Glide: Customizable Image Loading on Android (The Book + Demo App Code)
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2019-02-17
About the Book
In order to be competitive in today's Google Play environment, your app needs to be polished. Images need to be used consistently and loaded smoothly. If your Android app uses images, this book will save you a ton of time researching and avoid stressful evenings of bug fixes. If you value your time, this is something for you.
We cover every feature of Glide! This book is for beginners and advanced readers as well. We’ll walk you through each topic with direct reference to code examples. Once you’ve worked through this book, you’ll be the expert of image loading on Android with Glide.
The content of this book is completely updated to Glide 4.8.0! The previous book version for Glide 3.x is included.
What Topics are Covered in this Book?
The list below provides a comprehensive overview of covered topicS within the book.
- Introduction to Glide
- Loading Images, Gifs & Local Video Thumbnails
- Image Display, Adapter Usage (ListView, RecyclerView, CardView) & Placeholders
- Request Options & Generated API
- Image Resizing & Thumbnails
- Caching & Request Priorities
- Callbacks With Glide Targets
- Exception Handling and Debugging (Android Studio Profiler, Stetho)
- Image Rotation and Glide Transformations
- Glide Animations
- Customizing Glide with Glide Modules (Custom SSL, Custom Network Timeouts, ...)
- App Release Preparations
- Upgrade Guide from Glide 3.x to Glide 4
Who Is This Book For?
This book is for Android developers who want to get an substantial overview and reference book of Glide. You’ll benefit from the clearly recognizable code examples in regard to your daily work with Glide.
If you’re just starting out with Glide (or coming from any other image loading library like Picasso) this book will show you all important parts on how to work with images. The provided code snippets let you jump-start and create an image-rich app within minutes.
You already worked with Glide before? You’ll profit from our extensive code snippets and can improve your existing code base. Additionally, the book illustrates various optimizations for an even better user experience.
Every code snippet in the book has been tested. The example project is provided for free as an extra download. We recommend to download it from Leanpub's book extra section and check the full code base as you move through the book. We try to keep the code snippets in the book as short as possible. If more context is necessary, the example app's code provides it.
Free Lifetime Updates
We've released this book on Glide in October 2015 and it's still getting updates. We've been updating the book with every minor Glide release. The price of the eBook went up along with its value. The first buyers of our products always get the best deal and the lowest price!
- We don't do sales with discounts, so don't wait for it
- Our prices only go up
- Buy now and get a voice for future improvements
Not Convinced Yet?
Fair enough! If you’re still on the fence if this book helps you, checkout the sample or, even better, use Leanpub’s (and our) happiness guarantee. Try this book out and if you don’t think this book provides enough value, you can refund your money within 45 days with no questions asked. You don’t have any risk in testing this book, which saves you hours of headaches and increases your app's quality and user experience.
Marcus is an enthusiastic Android & Java developer. He’s developed multiple production-ready client and server applications. While following the core principle of performance for client apps, he also builds REST+JSON APIs that focus on clear and consistent design.
Besides his day job, sharing knowledge and teaching others has become a characteristic he never wants to miss.
Marcus has a Master’s degree in computer science from the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
Feel free to get in touch on Twitter @marcuspoehls.
About the Book
- What Topics Are Covered in This Book?
- Who Is This Book For?
- Code Samples
Chapter 1 — Loading Images, Gifs & Local Video Thumbnails
- Why Use Glide?
- Adding Glide to Your Setup
- Internet Permission
- First Peek: Loading Image from a URL
- Advanced Loading
- Load Bitmap or Drawable
- Displaying Gifs & Video Thumbnails
Chapter 2 — Image Display & Placeholders
- Adapter Usage (ListView, GridView)
- Sample Gallery Implementation: GridView
- Other Applications: ImageViews as Elements
- Adapter Usage (RecyclerView) and CardView
- Error Placeholder: .error()
Chapter 3 — Image Resizing & Thumbnails
- Image Resizing & Scaling
Chapter 4 — Request Options & Generated API
- Request Options
- Generated API: Inline Request Options
Extend the Generated API with
New Fluent Interface Method with
- Usage of Extension Methods
Chapter 5 — Caching, Request Optimization & Request Priorities
- Caching Basics
- Invalidate Cache for Single Image
- How to Choose the Best Caching Preference
- Network-Dependent Image Loading
- Request Priorities
Chapter 6 — Callbacks With Glide Targets
- Simple Targets
- Loading Images into Notifications and App Widgets
Chapter 7 — Exceptions and Debugging
- Local Debugging
- General Exception Logging
- Analyzing Image Loading with Android Studio Profiler
- Log Image Loading with Stetho and Chrome Developer Tools
Chapter 8 — Glide Transformations
- How to Rotate Your Images
- Collection of Glide Transformations
Chapter 9 — Glide Animations
- Animation Basics
Chapter 10 — Glide Modules
- Integrating Network Stacks
- Customize Glide with Modules
- Glide Module Example: Accepting Self-Signed HTTPS Certificates
- Customize Network Timeouts
- Customize Memory Cache
- Customize Disk Cache
- Custom Cache Implementations
- Request Images in Certain Dimensions
- How to Ignore URL Query Parameters In Cache Lookup
Chapter 11 — App Release Preparation
- Enable ProGuard
- Configure ProGuard Rules for Glide
- Obfuscated Stack Traces
Appendix: Upgrade Guide from Glide 3.x
- Phase 1: Glide 4.x Upgrade Guide
- Preparation: Backup Everything
- Gradle Imports
- Use Generated API: GlideApp
- Fix Broken Calls
- Animations -> Transitions
- Special Cases
- Phase 2: Code & Performance Optimization
Future Studio Books
- Future Studio Bundle
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.