Cognitive Productivity with macOS®
This book is 72% complete
Last updated on 2018-02-12
About the Book
This book is written for Mac users who value knowledge and competence. This screencast-rich book presents seven principles to help you become smarter by identifying and mastering knowledge gems.
Much has been written about "information overload". Alas, very little popular literature provides SPECIFIC, COGNITIVE SCIENCE-BASED GUIDANCE about how to THRIVE IN THE SEA OF KNOWLEDGE.
This book covers (or will cover) many apps and web services, including OmniFocus, OmniOutliner, Skim, PDFPenPro, Preview, iBooks, Timing, ReadCube's Papers, Pinboard, Pocket, reeder, Spillo, Readkit, TextExpander, LaunchBar, and Anki. There are plenty of general tutorials for those apps. What makes Cognitive Productivity books unique is that they focus on using such software as tools to use knowledge to become a more effective person.
Have you read Stephen Covey's 1988 book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People? That book has a principle called "Sharpen the Saw®", which includes a very short section on the importance of reading. The current book is laser focused on a similar theme. But this book deals with using macOS to improve oneself. And this book is based on cognitive science. (The Author is an adjunct professor of Cognitive Scientist and of Education, who is also a software designer and public speaker.)
Here's an outline of this book along with an indication of its status:
# Front Matter #
# Part 1 Self-Governance #
* √ Principle 1: Lead Yourself with Knowledge (published). This will help you set your overall direction as a problem solver and learner who uses knowledge to pursue his or her values.
* √ Principle 2: Manage Your Cognitive Life Mindfully (published). This will help you use technology to develop and implement plans to systematically pursue the values you established in Principle 1.
# Productive Information Processing #
* √ Principle 3: Assess Analytically (published). This principle will help you stay away from irrelevant information while focusing on knowledge gems (high caliber, useful, potent information).
* Principle 4: Surf Strategically (draft— to be published). This principle will help you navigate information.
* √ Principle 5: Delve Deeply (published). This principle will help you use technology to identify and comprehend the gems contained in knowledge resources you identified with Principle 3.
# Part 3 Mastery #
* √ Principle 6: Practice Productively (draft— to be published). Practice is the key to expertise. This principle will help you master knowledge gems by practicing with them.
* Principle 7: Apply Knowledge (to be published). What's the point of reading if you don't apply information? This chapter will help you apply knowledge gems.
This book is based on Part 3 of the first book, Cognitive Productivity book. However, this new book skips the science and focuses on practical advice. Second, this book is loaded with screencasts that specifically demonstrate how to use cognitive productivity techniques.
Are you ready to learn how to use your Mac to apply 7 Principles for Getting Smarter with Knowledge?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...