About the Book
- Have you ever looked back at a week, month or even year knowing that you spent many hours reading and yet could not recall anything of value?
- Does it take you more than two seconds to re-access important information on your Mac?
- Do you often get distracted by Facebook, YouTube, irrelevant emails or even supposedly high-quality information?
- Do you ever find it difficult to isolate or re-access the key information in a web page, PDF, podcast, book, video or lecture?
- Do you not have a simple system for evaluating, selecting and reading?
- Have you spent less then an hour in the last week reviewing and practicing key knowledge?
- Have you ever made a big mistake that you could’ve avoided _if only you had applied what you thought you had learned?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions and if you value competence, then this book is for you!
In today's competitive knowledge economy, you always need to keep learning —and fast. Unfortunately, most apps for "consuming" information are not adequately designed for learning. If you don't use the right apps and the right strategies, odds are you will
- be distracted by irrelevant information;
- find it difficult to re-access useful information;
- forget more than you should; and
- fail to effectively use your new knowledge.
Much has been written about "information overload". There's also plenty of free information explaining how to use various apps. Unfortunately, little literature provides specific guidance on using software to overcome information overload and to select, organize, re-access and master useful knowledge.
When it comes to learning, not every app is created equal. Common ways of processing information actually interfere with learning. Using the right apps and the right strategies can enormously boost your ability to learn and think effectively
This is what Cognitive Productivity books are all about.
This book will help you select and utilize the most cognitively potent macOS apps: the best web browser, task manager, news reader, PDF reader, practice app, etc. This book demonstrates the best strategies for assessing, organizing, selecting, processing and mastering information. You will learn to stay away from distractions to acquire and apply new knowledge
If a picture is worth 1,000 words, a screencast is worth 10,000. This book is loaded with screencasts. They demonstrate effective strategies to help you use your Mac to become even smarter. Whether you are a professional knowledge worker, a student or a lifelong learner, if you value your time and competence, this book is written for you.
Are you ready to use your Mac to apply 7 Principles for Getting Smarter with Knowledge?
About the Author
Luc is a Cognitive Scientist who specializes in macOS-based cognitive productivity. His work has been featured in Forbes Magazine, The New York Times, Lifehacker, Popular Science Magazine, Cool Tools, The Guardian, The International Business Times of London, etc.
Luc is co-founder of CogSci Apps (which develops cognitive productivity software including mySleepButton), founder of CogZest (cognitive productivity publications and training), and Adjunct Professor of Cognitive Science and of Education at Simon Fraser University. He has a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science (School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham). He was a first-round employee of what became two of Canada's most highly-valued tech startups. He was previously Assistant Professor of Military Psychology and Leadership at the Royal Military College of Canada.
This eclectic combination of R&D experience led Luc to a new mission in 2001: to help smart people use knowledge and technology to become even smarter. To this end, he extends and applies cognitive science.
CogSci Apps, is about to release a new macOS cognitive productivity app that will forever change how you process information.
Luc is based in Metro-Vancouver, British Columbia.