Building "Memory Matching" Browser Games
Building "Memory Matching" Browser Games
Codeless Game Construction Student Workbook using Construct2 & Construct3 for MahJong, Hidden and "In Sequence" Memory Matching.
About the Book
Discover how to create three different versions of Memory Matching games using the methods in this single chapter from the "Construct Game Starter Kit Collection". When you finish this workbook, you will have a production pipeline to create as many different "Memory Matching" games as your imagination can dream up!
I would like to guide you in creating several versions of Memory Matching with "open Pairs", "Hidden Pairs", and "In Sequence" game mechanics. We will use these game mechanics, display mechanisms and those development methods. By the end of this large student workbook, you should have several fully functional Memory Matching games - not just a copy of my game, but your very own product using your own gaming assets. There is a supporting website where you can download the bonus content included with your workbook's purchase. Instructor Workshop edition also available.
You'll also get bonus content, download examples, and source code references on how to do every single thing in this game design workbook, so you can copy and paste any example into your own production pipelines and then modify those resources for your own purposes. General Game Licenses are included in this purchased book if you wish to simply copy and publish my edition versions.
This extraordinarily comprehensive guide will teach you how to:
- Use Construct - either v2 and v3.
- How to integrate "Memory Matching" game mechanics into other game genres such as "musical ear-training, MahJong, and Fantasy RPG magic!
- Use your game in a "Content Management System", a "Progressive Web Application" or a "Single Page Web Application" on any device.
- Analyze current International business demands for this type of game's genre, how, and where to deploy it.
- Automatically generate various game editions from this core game mechanics.
If you have any feedback or suggestions please join our email listing or participate in the forum for this course!
- Distribution Permission
- About this Workbook
- How to Read & Use this workbook:
- Viewing the eBook:
- External Links
- References Used
- Your newly obtained skills …
- Programming Courses
Part I — Concept & Design
1 Introduction to “Code-less” Game Design
- 1.1 Game Genres Defined
1.2 Game Delivery Modes
- Mobile “Single Web Page Applications” (SWPA)
- 1.3 Game Tools & Generators
2 Project Management Overview
- 2.1 Development:
- 2.2 Design:
2.3 Construct’s “Code-less” Encoding
- Deeper Dive: Properly Using “Event Sheets” as “Includes”!
3 Common Core Game Construction
- 3.1 Design Consideration: CMS, PWA, or SWPA!
3.2 C2 Product Launch
- About Your Project:
- Project Settings:
- Configuration Settings
- Creating a C2 SWPA Game Version?
- Creating a C2 CMS or PWA Game Version?
3.3 C3 Product Launch
- About Your Project:
- Project Settings: Color Theme, Startup & Display
- Configuration Settings: Advanced & Editor
- Creating a C3 SWPA Game Version?
- Creating a C3 CMS Game Version?
4 “Memory Matching” Genre
- 4.1 Our Goals
4.2 Genre Overview
- Deeper Dive: “Due Diligence in Gaming Research”
- Deeper Dive: Audio Games
- 4.3 Game Recipe™ Featured Ingredients
4.4 General Design Considerations
- Optional Designs
- 4.5 Game Mechanics (GM) — Data Structure
4.6 Game Mechanics (GM) — Logic, & Rules
- Game set-up:
- Game begins:
- Game validation:
- Game Conclusion:
- 1 Introduction to “Code-less” Game Design
Part II — Matching “Open Pairs”
5 MahJong — “Matching Open Pairs”
5.1 MahJong Design
- MahJong Rule Variations
- 5.1 MahJong Design
6 C2 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 6.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 6.2 Game Play Layout
- 6.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
7 C3 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 7.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 7.2 Game Play Layout
- 7.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
- 5 MahJong — “Matching Open Pairs”
Part III — Matching “Hidden Pairs”
8 RPG Math Class — “Matching Hidden Pairs”
8.1 RPG Math Class Design
- “Hidden Pairs” Rule Variations
- 8.1 RPG Math Class Design
9 C2 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 9.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 9.2 Game Play Layout
- 9.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
10 C3 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 10.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 10.2 Game Play Layout
- 10.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
- 8 RPG Math Class — “Matching Hidden Pairs”
Part IV — Sequence Matching
11 Simple Shaman — “Matching in Sequence”
11.1 Simple Shaman Design
- Clones & Competitors
- Sequence Logic
- 11.1 Simple Shaman Design
12 C2 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 12.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 12.2 Game Play Layout
- 12.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
13 C3 Production: a Step-by-Step Tutorial
- 13.1 Project Creation: Steps #0 — #2
- 13.2 Game Play Layout
- 13.3 Event Sheets — Game Mechanics Rules, Logic, & Data
- 11 Simple Shaman — “Matching in Sequence”
14 Game Distribution & Marketing
14.1 Introduction: 8-Step Deployment Method.
- The advantages of selling direct
- 14.2 Book Review Protocol
- 14.3 Tell the world about your game!
- 14.1 Introduction: 8-Step Deployment Method.
- 15 Conclusion
- 16 Bonus Development Content
- 14 Game Distribution & Marketing
More Resources …
- “You don’t know JS Yet” by Kyle Simpson
- Construct Demos
Appendix: Game Developer Tool Kits
- Artwork Resources
- Selling your Game Artwork & Assets
- Additional Appendices
- Appendix: Making WebXR Games!
- More Resources …
Appendix: “How to Start a WebSocket”
“Massive Multi-Player Online Games”
- Testing Your Browser
WebSocket Protocol Handshake
- Deeper Dive: WebSocket API
Sample Source Code: Client-side WebSocket
Step #1: Game
- Step #2: Generate Event handlers
- Step #1: Game
- “Massive Multi-Player Online Games”
- Deeper Dive: JS Delegation (aka “Inheritance”?)
- The old way
- Objects Linking to Other Objects (OLOO)
- Compare your code
- Exercise Lesson 9:
- Game Singletons
- Deeper Dive: Object Manipulation objects in ES5/6
- Lesson Summary
- Resource References:
Answers to Exercises
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.