About the Book
We find ourselves at some time in the future "After the Revolution", following the trials and tribulations of Jay, an adjuster/investigator who represents a vague computer system called WorldNet. It uses him as a check and balance to ensure that its decisions are correct and humane. He also catches and adjusts people who misuse resources and cause other kinds of mayhem. Jay believes he is an amalgam, a person who committed terrible crimes and was punished by having other people's memories forced into his head until he gained a sense of empathy and understood what he had done. He atones by helping WorldNet.
Odine was one of the founders of the Revolution and her quotes and musings pepper the book. Parts of her story are woven into the book. She became a national hero after committing a murder. She was also made like Jay, but in a different way. Her crime and what happened around it are known as the attack of common sense.
As Jay attempts to unravel the mystery of a priest drowned in his font he fights with flashbacks from his creation and discovers unsettling things about himself. He is pursued by the shadowy figure of Kervas, who might have helped to make Odine many years ago.
Table of Contents
- Fragment 1: Blood and sand
- No when: Angel: Dream Time
- 2008: Carole: Only I lived to tale
- 2231: Jay: Blood and Sand
- 2040: Odine: Autobiographical Notes
- Fragment 2: The first cut
- No when: Angel: Mother’s Arms
- 1994: Kervas: A Life in vitro
- 2042: Carole: Latency
- 2031: Odine: Impossible Cyclopaedia – on the definition of Human
- Fragment 3: Is deepest red
- 2026: Carole: What colour is this?
- No when: Angel: Paradise
- 2022: Carole: At home with the Jetsons
- 2045: Odine: Think!
- Fragment 4: Cutting
- No when: Angel: The shape of pain
- 2231: Jay: Searching and sorting
- 2231: Jay: The journey
- 2031: Odine: The One Law
- Fragment 5: Examinations
- No when: Angel: Stretching a point
- 2231: Jay: Musings and Research
- 2231: Jay: Jaw Jaw
- 2231: Jay: Amalgam fragments
- 2052: Odine: Biographical Notes
- Fragment 6: Immortal Invisible
- No when: Angel: Red seeds
- 2231: Jay: I lay flowers on my grave
- 2040: Odine: Founding Congress of the Withering State Party
- 2231: Jay: Perchance to wake
- Fragment 7: Dead on Arrival
- No when: Angel: Refactoring
- 2035: Odine: Address to the Dissolution of the Progressive Party
- 2175: Kervas: What nobody knows
- 2017: Carole: Wet Monday
- 1997: Eddie: Screaming from the Streets
- 2018: Carole: The Attack of Common Sense
- 2030: Odine: The Blacksmith’s Anvil
- Fragment 8: Force Majeure
- No when: Angel: Dukkha
- 2017: Carole: No hope of a white wedding
- 2231: Jay: Them Thar Hills
- 2314: Jay: First, Cut Deeper – Jump Cut!
- 1994: Jay: Cold is goodbye
- 2231: Jay: Coming up for air
- 2231: Jay: Breathing again
- 2022: Odine: Confession
- Fragment 9: War War
- No when: Angel: The butterfly curve
- 2018: Kervas: The Church of Small Martyrs
- 2040: Odine: Heroine
- 2231: Jay: Running out of change
- 2231: Jay: Spinning
- 2231: Jay: The inch
- 1987: Mare: Destruction of now
- 2231: Jay: Beat back the blues
- 2231: Jay: Run for your life
- 2041: Odine: Letter to Fragmentation Review
- Fragment 10: Fire
- No when: Mother: Where has my darling gone?
- 2042: Odine: The other way
- 2020: Carole: Doctor, doctor?
- 2017: Carole: Blue Murder
- 2223: Jay: Punishments
- 2219: Joe Oracle: Exclusion
- 2221: Terd Gevalt: Inclusion
- 2223: Jay: Law like Love
- 2235: Robert the Spider: Embargo
- 2093: Odine: Beyond Common Sense
- Fragment 11: I lay my bloody fingers on you
- No when: Angel: Remember to breathe
- 2023: Odine: Small Martyrs on Tour
- 2022: Odine: Free Speech?
- 2022: Odine: Deposition - All I said
- 2223: Jay: Pranks and larks
- 2223: Jay: Closing in
- 2223: Jay: Quarry
- 2025: Odine: Bored now
- Fragment 12: Over the Rainbow
- No when: Angel: Still
- 2224: Jay: Killer Queen
- 2024: Odine: The wounded continent
- 2131: Jay: The Queen
- 2025: Odine: I bought the company
- 2131: Jay: Descent
- 1972: Jay: Dead teachers don’t lie
- 2131: Jay: Blue Murder
- 2072: Odine: Trans Human
- 2047: Kervas: But our chains
- 2231: Jay: Slowtime
- 2231: Odine: Silent watcher
- 2231: Jay: The final hunt
- 1984: Marjorie: Shot messenger
- 2231: Jay: The Tigress
- 2197: Odine: 101 Impossible things before breakfast
- Fragment 13: Unlearning
- No when: Angel: Reports of death
- 2231: Jay: Double pump
- 1994: Jay: Mortal
- 2231: Jay: The Word
- 2231: Jay: The Deed
- 2072: Odine: Socrates and Plato
- No fragment
- After the revolution
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them