Better Whiteboard Sketches
This book is 15% complete
Last updated on 2019-08-20
About the Book
This book provides a simple, proven approach to drawing clear, memorable technical diagrams. The approach is designed to be suitable for people with a range of learning and visual needs, including:
- people with dyslexia and other specific learning differences
- people with visual impairments in colour or acuity
- people who learn visually or audibly
- people who like to categorise in order to understand
The techniques lead to diagrams that still make sense many months or years after drawing them. The diagrams tend to be clear enough to include directly in slide decks and even official documentation. The techniques make it simple and quick to redraw diagrams if needed, without having to begin from the very start each time.
- Conflux Books
About the author
- Matthew Skelton
- Why I wrote this book
How to use this book
- Conventions used in the book
Introduction - the value of clear diagrams
- Why sketch?
- Typical problems with whiteboard sketches
- Drawing helps us to understand and remember
- Use a physical whiteboard
- 3 core principles: concepts, colour, repeating
1. Define and group key signifiers and concepts
- 1.1 Decide on the 3 or 4 most important concepts to represent
- 1.2 Identify the audience for the diagram
- 1.3 Map the concepts to 4 colours
- 1.4 Use different shapes to differentiate the concepts
- 1.5 Use a key or legend on the diagram itself
- 1.6 Use proven techniques from DDD and C4 Model to help focus the diagram
- 1.7 Summary
- 1.8 Exercises
2. Use colour but think in monotones
- 2.1 Summary
- 2.2 Exercises
3. Draw to modify or repeat for discussion
- 3.1 The conversation is as important as the diagram
- 3.2 Summary
- 3.3 Exercises
4. Summary and Quick Reference
- 4.1 Case Studies
- 4.2 Quick Reference
- 5. Practise using structured exercises
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.