This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-11-26
About the Book
Please Note: This title is no longer available here. It is now republished by Springer/Nature/Apress.
This book arrives as another one in our series of short tutorials intended to be read in 1-3 hours, spanning no more than 100 pages so that you can understand big ideas quickly on a first pass. Then, when you want to go back and explore details in a deeper fashion, important concepts will be easy to find.
This tutorial teaches decision makers how to tame decision ambiguity by establishing an efficient research budget (the value of information) used to clarify complex decisions under uncertainty. It is an extension and companion piece to Business Case Analysis with R: A Simulation Tutorial to Support Complex Business Decisions and It's Your Move: Creating Valuable Decision Options When You Don’t Know What to Do.
The first book set up a framework in the R programming language by which decision makers can analyze the uncertainty and risk associated with complex business opportunities. The second book set up a framework with three planning tools to create different strategic alternatives to capture the value of the complex business opportunity. This book will teach you how, again with support of the R language, to compare the effects of uncertainty across those strategic alternatives in a time and resource efficient manner.
With this book you will learn
- The meaning of Value of Information
- How to conduct tornado analysis in R
- How to identify critical uncertainties using tornado charts
- How to calculate the value of information using R
- 1.1 Acknowledgments
- 1.2 Setting a Budget for Making Decisions Clearly
- 1.3 What You Will Learn
- 1.4 What You Will Need
2. A MORE REFINED EXPLANATION
- 2.1 The Decision Tree
- 2.2 Some Preliminary R Code
- 2.3 The Influence Diagram
3. BUILDING THE SIMULATION IN R
- 3.1 The Solution Approach
- 3.2 Style Guide
- 3.3 The Model Algorithms
- 3.4 The Sensitivity Analysis
3.5 VOI Algorithms
- 3.5.1 Coarse Focus First
- 3.5.2 A Finer Focus
3.6 Concluding Comments
- 3.6.1 Espresso Shot #1
- 3.6.2 Espresso Shot #2
- 3.6.3 Espresso Shot #3
4. Appendix: Code Samples
- 4.1 Preliminary VOI Example
4.2 VOI R Scripts
- 4.2.1 Functions
- 4.2.2 Assumptions
- 4.2.3 Business Decision Model
- 4.2.4 Sensitivity Analysis
- 4.2.5 Value of Information
- 4.2.6 Critical Uncertainty Sensitivity Analysis and Refined VOI
5. A SPECIAL OFFER
5.1 How to be a Business Analytics Jedi
- 5.1.1 Initial Discussion
- 5.1.2 Decision Simulation - Let’s Make A Deal
- 5.1.3 Clarifying Objectives
- 5.1.4 Generating Creative Alternatives
- 5.1.5 Clarifying the Sources and Effects of Uncertainty
- 5.1.6 Understanding Risk & Uncertainty
- 5.1.7 Taking Uncertainty into Account
- 5.1.8 Rolling It All Up
5.2 To Framing…And Beyond!
- 5.2.1 Immediate Application of Concepts
- 5.2.2 Beyond Framing
- 5.1 How to be a Business Analytics Jedi
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.