The Old Leanpub Manual
Last updated on 2019-06-22
About the Book
- About The Leanpub Manual
- Visual Editor Writing Mode
- Google Docs Writing Mode
- Dropbox Writing Mode
- Git and GitHub Writing Mode
- Git and Bitbucket Writing Mode
- Bring Your Own Book Writing Mode
- In-Browser Plain Text Editor Writing Mode
- The Five Steps To A Plain Text Leanpub Book
- Brief Instructions
- Setting Up Dropbox On Your Computer
- Your Book’s Content
- The Book.txt File
- Making a Sample Book for Readers to Browse for Free
- Adding Images or Pictures to Your Book
- Creating a Preview
- Publishing Your Book
Leanpub Book Tools
- The Book Tools
Markdown: The Easiest Way To Format Your Text For E-Publishing
- Leanpub Flavoured Markdown and Markua
- Why Should You Care?
- How Markdown is Used in Leanpub
Creating A New Book
- How To Create A New Book
- How To Set The Book’s Structure
- Technical Books
- Business Books
- Fiction Books
- Why Sample Books?
- Consequences for Manuscripts
- How To Insert An Image
- Image Format And Resolution
- Recommended Image Resolution
- Maximum Image Sizes
- Positioning An Image On The Page
- Basic Image Recommendations
- Maximum Image Sizes
- Questions About Images and Cover Pages
Your Profile, Dashboard and Account
- View Your Profile
- Edit Account
The Landing Page
- Table of Contents
- How To Publish Your Book On Leanpub
- Notifying Readers When You Publish
- Changing Your Title and URL
- Questions About Publishing on Leanpub
Languages and Letter Accents
- Setting the Main Language Used in the Book
- Overriding Leanpub Language Defaults
- Switching back and forth between language fonts
- A note about writing Leanpub books in Japanese, Korean and Chinese
- A note about writing Leanpub books in right-to-left (RTL) languages
Dedication, Parts, Chapters and Sections
- Chapters, Sections and Sub-sections
- Table of Contents
- Front Matter, Main Matter and Back Matter
- Bold, Emphasis/Italics, and Underlining
- Monospaced Text
- Non-Breaking Spaces
Blocks Of Text
- Centering Paragraphs Or Lines Of Text
- Numbered/Ordered Lists
- Unordered/Bulleted Lists
- Definition Lists
- More Text Block Types
- Generic Boxes
- Code Samples
- Code Sample Titles
- Marking lines as deleted or added to a code block
- Some Details About Line-Wrapping
- Questions About Code
- Poetry Stanzas in Regular Markdown
- Spacing Control for Poetry
- Line Lengths
- Formatting Links
- Long Hyperlinks
- Footnotes and Hyperlinks in PDF
Footnotes and Endnotes
- Remove Footnotes
- Quick Explanation
- Longer Explanation
- Crosslinking to something with an ID
- Some Crosslink Details
- Line Breaks
- Table Width
- Multi-line rows
- Alignment and footer rows
- Table Titles
- HTML Tables
- A note on combining attributes
Selling your book
- Library Purchasing
- Maximum Sale Price
- Selling Digital Extras
- Selling Multi-reader Licenses
- Buying Books on Leanpub
- Sales and Analytics
- Backing Up Your Files
- Escaping Markdown Syntax Characters
- How To Exclude Lines From Your Book
- Copyright Protection
- Moving Dropbox Folders
- Distributing Extra Files with Your Book
- Mathematical Equations
- Cover Designers and Editors
- Information About Your Readers / Customers
- Multimedia Content
- Does Leanpub Accept Authors From Anywhere (i.e. international authors, foreign authors)?
- Coupons for Other Leanpub Authors
- Curly Quotes
- Figure Captions and Labels
- Links In Footnotes
- Full Table of Contents in Sample Books?
- On the landing page, can we feature a channel instead of an individual video on the YouTube link?
- Why can’t I put section commands in Book.txt?
- Trouble With Accents? Forcing Text Editors To Save As UTF-8
- I don’t understand how things get added to a Table of Contents
- What encoding should I use to write files in Markdown? Should I write in ASCII or UTF-8?
- How Can I Add Blank Lines To My Text?
- Why Can’t I See My Profile When I Go To ‘Your Profile’?
- A General Note On Formatting
- GitHub Commits
- Downloading onto your iPad or iPhone
- Working with GitHub and Dropbox
- Adding a motto or epigraph to the beginning of a chapter
- Can I publish my book on Leanpub and KDP Select at the same time?
- Does Leanpub give me tools to help me build my own book landing page?
- Disabling Line Numbers While Nesting Code Blocks In Lists
- Can I write my Leanpub book in Markdown files, with the .md extension?
- Page Sizes and Maximum Image Sizes
- Hanging Indents
- How can I import a Microsoft Word document?
- Problems With Adobe Digital Editions
- Long strings of characters running off the right-hand side of the page / the right margin
- Time Zone
- How can I increase the space between paragraphs?
- Font Samples
- Using Dropbox and Git
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.