Hosting and Facilitating
About the Book
This book was born from the need to explain others that they can facilitate a coderetreat. After many first-time facilitator training sessions during the 5 years organizing Global Day of Coderetreat, we realized that we need another medium to explain coderetreat. It is true that the depth of facilitating and hosting can be understood only after dealing with these tasks. This book will help anyone who wants to facilitate or host a coderetreat to make that transition faster and to be more productive during the learning process.
Bundles that include this book
About the Contributors
Software Developer, Completionist and officially appointed Code Cop
CTO of prodo.ai
Independent software consultant
Table of Contents
- How Alex got involved in coderetreats, and why you should too
- About the book
- Support the book
Chapter 1: A bit of history
- How it all started
- Maria, Alex and the first coderetreats outside US
- Adi got involved
Chapter 2: Format
- Full day event
- A few more things
Chapter 3: How to facilitate
- What is a facilitator?
- The host
- Coderetreat day events
- Facilitation styles
Chapter 4: How to host
- The space
- Promoting the event
- Find a facilitator
- Dealing with no-shows
- Information for attendees at the venue
- Prizes or end of event surprises
- Socializing after a coderetreat
Chapter 5: Session Catalogue
- Session 1: Tackle The Problem
- Session 2: Maximum 4 statements per method
- Session 3: No predefined data structures
- Session 4: No conditionals
- Session 5: No mouse
- Session 6: No loops
- Session 7: Programming by Wishful Thinking
- Session 8: Ping Pong Pair-Programming
- Session 9: Silent Pair-Programming
- Session 10: Beginner’s Mind
- Session 11: Yes, and…
- Session 12: Solution Seeker
- Session 13: Brutal Refactoring Game
- Session 14: Taking Baby Steps
- Session 15: Teddy Bear Pair Programming
- Session 16: Evil Pair Programming
Chapter 6: Frequently Asked Questions
- Why attending the whole day?
- I want to facilitate. Where to start?
- I want to host. Where to start?
Other books by these authors
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them