Making Data Play Nice
About the Book
Getting data for a story is only the start of the process - sometimes it just won't play nice.
Making Data Play Nice covers the skills to get your data into the right shape to give you answers to the questions you need to ask. Techniques include:
- Using data cleaning tools including Google Refine
- Extracting data from data - getting years from dates, splitting postcodes and other common problems
- Dealing with names - how to deal with titles, middle names and other peculiarities
- Making data work with pivot tables - tackling headers spread across multiple rows, merged cells and other issues
- Grabbing extra data using spreadsheets
- Grabbing extra data using APIs
- Combining multiple spreadsheets into one
- Advanced cleaning using Google Refine Expression Language (GREL)
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.