Build Blog With Wagtail CMS
Last updated on 2018-06-20
About the Book
This book was considered one of the first and top learning resources for the Wagtail CMS framework. The book will be updated to keep up the changes of Wagtail CMS.
When I tried to build a CMS system using Wagtail CMS, I found out that there is no good resources for me to learn, all I can get is some simple blog posts or some Github projects which have no doc. So I decide to help people who are new to Wagtail CMS as well as those who want to add new feature to existing Wagtail project.
This book will teach you to create a standard blog step by step using Wagtail CMS from scratch!
To help people focus on the key part of the Wagtail, in this book I only paste part of the source code instead of the whole file. But all the source code can be check out from Github, so you can get it in your local env directly, debug or run.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create CMS sytem using Wagtail CMS and have a good understanding about it.
Who is this book for:
This book is for anyone interested in building a CMS using Python.
Basic Python knowledge is required, it would be better if you are familiar with Django.
- Why I wrote this book
- Who is this book for
- What you should know before reading
- What if you have problem or suggestions
Chapter 1 Create Wagtail Project
- Install Wagtail
- Project structure
- Start to play with templates
Chapter 2 Create Data Model
- Start to play with data model
- Hierarchical “tree”
- Create templates to show the content
Chapter 3 Category And Tag Support
- Show tags and categories in templates
Chapter 4 Routable Blog Page
- Customizing context
- Reversing route urls
Chapter 5 Customize Blog Post URL
- Add date info into blog post url
- Reversing post urls
Chapter 6 Import Theme Into Wagtail Blog
- Import bootstrap theme
- Modify template
- Template tags
- Use Django-el-pagination to provide pagination in wagtail
Chapter 7 Add Search Function In Wagtail Blog
- Search function in model
- Add search form in template
- Which search backend should I choose in my Wagtail project?
Chapter 8 Add Markdown Support In Wagtail Blog
- Import new MarkdownField and MarkdownPanel
- Render Markdown
Chapter 9 Add LaTeX Support & Code Highlight In Wagtail
- Add code highlight support
- Add LaTeX support
Chapter 10 Add Comment Support In Wagtail Blog
- Should I build new comment system or integrate 3 party comment service
- Create new Disqus account and config
- Integrate Disqus to Wagtail blog
Chapter 11 How to use StreamField in Wagtail
- What is the different between RichText, Markdown, and StreamField
- Basic concepts you should know
- Get started
- Custom Block
- Create page using streamfield
Chapter 12: How to Create and Manage Menus of Wagtail application
- Step 1 — Inspect Page object in Wagtail
- Step 2 — Basic Menu Implementation
- Step 3 — Change page order in Wagtail menu
- Step 4 — Install wagtailmenus
- Step 5 — Render menu using wagtailmenus
Chapter 13: How to build form page in Wagtail
- Step 1 - Create Model
- Step2 - Create Template
- Step3 - Config Email Test Env
- Step4 - Enjoy Wagtail’s Powerful FormBuilder
- Step5 - Check Submissions
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...