C++17 in Detail and Lambda Story
C++17 in Detail and Lambda Story
About the Bundle
Get all of my books much cheaper!
With this package, you'll learn the exciting things available in C++17 and also understand lambda expressions.
C++17 in Detail
Learn the Exciting Features of The New C++ Standard!
If you’ve ever asked “what’s in C++17 and what does it mean for me and my code?” — and I hope you have — then this book is for you.
Herb Sutter, herbsutter.com
C++11 was a major update for the language. With all the modern features like lambdas, constexpr, variadic templates, threading, range-based for loops, smart pointers and many more powerful elements, it was enormous progress for the language. Even now, in 2018, lots of teams struggle to modernise their projects to leverage all the modern features. Later there was a minor update - C++14, which improved some things from the previous standard and added a few smaller elements. With C++17 we got a lot of mixed emotions.
Although C++17 is not as big as C++11, it's larger than C++14. Everyone expected modules, co-routines, concepts and other powerful features, but it wasn't possible to prepare everything on time.
Is C++17 weak?
Far from it! And this book will show you why!
I spent hundreds of hours investigating how the new things work in order to make a nice and practical book for you. The book will not only save your time but also will guide you through all the nuances of the language.
The book brings you exclusive content about C++17 and draws from the experience of many articles that have appeared on bfilipek.com. The chapters were rewritten from the ground-up and updated with the latest information. All of that equipped with lots of new examples and practical tips. Additionally, the book provides insight into the current implementation status, compiler support, performance issues and other relevant knowledge to boost your current projects.
If you have experience with C++11/14 and you want to move forward into the latest C++ standard, then this book is for you.
Here are the features you'll learn:
Part One: C++17 Language features
- Fixes and deprecation
- Language clarification
- General language features
Part Two: C++17 The Standard Library
- String Conversions
- String Matching & Searchers
- Parallel STL
- Other Changes
Part Three: More Examples and Use Cases
- Refactoring with std::optional
- Using if constexpr
- Using [[nodiscard]] attribute
- How to parallelise applications
"C++17 In Detail" appeared in the Visual C++ Team Blog as suggested books for learning C++17!
Have a look: Books on C++17
Review @CppDepend Blog https://cppdepend.com/blog/?p=1180
Review @A Sawicki Blog: http://asawicki.info/news_1715_book_review_c17_in_detail.html
There's also a book page at Goodreads: C++17 In Detail @Goodreads
- The book is also available in print at Amazon: C++17 in Detail Paperback
- And also as an interactive course at Educative: C++17 in Detail: A Deep Dive
I optimized this book for a PDF reading experience, but other ebook formats should also look good. If you have any issues with the copies, let me know and I'll try to update the formatting.
5 reader testimonials
C++ Lambda Story
Everything you need to know about Lambda Expression in Modern C++!
This book guides you through the evolution of C++ Lambda Expressions so that you can learn it step by step. We'll start with C++03 and a motivation to have "ad-hoc" functors, and then we'll move into the latest C++ standards:
- C++11 - early days of the feature. You'll learn about all the essential aspects of lambdas and several tricks you might apply. This is the longest chapter as we need to cover a lot of topics.
- C++14 - updates. See how to use generic lambdas and captures with an initialiser.
- C++17 - more improvements, especially by handling `this` pointer and allowing `constexpr`. You'll also learn about the overloaded pattern and how to derive from lambda.
- C++20 - in this section you'll see all of the new features adopted for C++20 like template lambdas and how to use them with concepts and constexpr algorithms.
Additionally, throughout the chapters, you'll learn about the following techniques:
- Immediately Invoked Functional Expressions (IIFE)
- how to instrument a default functor to gather extra information
- Replacing std::bind1st, std::bind2nd and removed functional stuff
- The Overloaded Pattern and how to inherit from a lambda
- Passing C++ captureless lambda as a function pointer to C API
- LIFTING with lambdas
- and many more
While the book is 100% ready, I plan to release more updates in the future. All existing readers get new updates for free.
The book is inspired by two articles that appeared at bfilipek.com:
The articles also are based on a live coding presentation given by C++ Expert Tomasz Kamiński at our local Cracow C++ User Group.
Below, you can find the GoodReads page for the book with the readers' feedback:
2 reader testimonials
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.