Adam On: Projects - Volume 1
Adam On: Projects - Volume 1
50+ Axioms on the Art and Science of Managing Projects of All Types: Adaptive, Predictive and Organic
About the Book
Unveiling a wealth of practical insights, "Adam On Projects" (or, "Adam's Axioms") is an essential guide for project managers navigating the complex world of software development and systems integration. Drawing from decades of hands-on experience, Adam Russell shares over 101 axioms that distil the core principles of project management into easily digestible, actionable nuggets of wisdom.
This unique collection transcends traditional methodologies, offering universal rules, heuristics, and opinions applicable to every project lifecycle model. While these axioms are born from Adam's personal experience and convictions, they provide invaluable guidance that can be adapted and applied to your own projects.
Designed with real-world challenges in mind, each axiom is keyword tagged and organized into categories like "On Vendors," allowing project managers to access relevant advice when faced with unfamiliar situations quickly. Comprehensive indexes sort axioms by category and tag, ensuring you can effortlessly pinpoint the insights you need to overcome obstacles and achieve project success.
Whether you're a seasoned veteran or an aspiring project manager, "Adam's Axioms" is an indispensable resource that will empower you to tackle projects with confidence, informed by the wisdom of a true industry expert.
- How to Read This Book
- On Project Success
- The source of project success.
- Successful projects? We’ve got both kinds!
- Why do projects fail?
- If you want your project to succeed, move your ass!
- On Projects and Project Management
- The power of the dog.
- What is a project?
- Be the right kind of project manager.
- Practice Minimal Responsible Intervention.
- The last resort custodian.
- Shut the fuck up and listen!
- The essential skill for a Project Manager.
- Are you a “kitchen hand” Project Manager?.
- The Gowachin Project Manager
- Projects are everywhere!
- On Agency
- Proceed until apprehended!
- First Action! Then see what happens.
- Every project has its own natural cadence.
- There are two contrary forces in the world!
- On Enablement
- Do you have a system-based objective?
- Understanding the cost of delay.
- Always be looking for the $1.95 solution.
- On Evolution
- Everything in every project evolves!
- Iteration without purpose = Brownian motion.
- On Abundance
- Abundance is the soul of your project.
- To plan is to be human.
- A project is a bridge.
- A project is like a long corridor of many locked doors.
- On Agile
- Just because you want to do agile doesn’t mean you can.
- The triple helix of Agile evolution.
- The saddest oxymoron of the 21st century.
- On Requirements
- Do your customers’ answers confuse you?
- If you can't define the enabled behaviour.
- Non-functional requirements are a secret weapon.
- A false separation.
- On Project Debt
- You borrowed tech debt from the worst kind of loan shark.
- The root cause of technical debt.
- There’s a bigger problem in your project than Tech Debt!
- On Assumptions
- Use assumptions to plug any hole in your planning.
- Supporting the bridge to an unknown future.
- Assumptions have Boxian qualities.
- On Planning
- Keep planning until you start making shit up.
- That unforeseen crisis your project is having?
- Planning is linear, but execution is non-linear.
- The false foundation for detailed forecasts.
- On Teams
- A project is a lifeboat.
- How do teams self-organise?
- Stop rolling around in broken glass!
- Project teaming happens quickly or not at all.
- Every human action has a reason behind it.
- Actual activity vs displacement activity.
- Business people make lousy solutions architects.
- Beware the one-person “team”!
- When your project team complains.
- What expectations does your team set for themselves?
- Invest in alignment!
- On Risk
- It’s great to be the first penguin off the ice!
- Everyone is fine with your risk management plan.
- Why should every project succeed?
- A stand-alone risk management process.
- The most common project WOFTAM.
- You need to manage Rissues organically.
- More from Adam Russell
- About the Author
- Career Summary
- A Career by Numbers
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.