Introduction to Terra (The Course)
The health and life sciences data revolution has arrived. Accurate and inexpensive genome sequencing is a reality, high-resolution imaging is becoming routine, and clinical data is increasingly available in machine-readable formats. These breakthroughs bring us to the threshold of a new era in biomedicine, one where the data sciences hold the potential to propel our understanding and treatment of human disease.
Enter Terra (http://terra.bio), a scalable platform for biomedical research. Terra's mission is to enable the next generation of collaborative biomedical research by building an open platform that connects researchers to each other and to the datasets and tools they need to achieve scientific breakthroughs. This course is meant to provide a guided learning experience that gives you a foundational understanding of Terra and the key concepts underpinning its principles and intended applications.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
1) Describe Terra's goals and its guiding principles,
2) Name the types of analysis that you can do in Terra,
3) Define key cloud computing components that will enable you to work in Terra,
4) Securely access Terra with your own account,
5) Access Terra support to learn more and get help when you need it,
6) Articulate your next steps to getting started with Terra.
- Course goals
- Next: Leanpub logistics
- Leanpub logistics
- Course materials
- Course discussion
- Terra overview
- Video assignment
- Next step: Cloud-native bioinformatics
- Cloud-native bioinformatics
- Reading assignment: Why work in the cloud?
- Reading assignment: New to cloud
- Quiz 1: Working in the Cloud in Terra
- Quiz 1 solutions
- Next: Intro to Workspace
- What are workspaces?
- Video assignment: Intro to Terra Workspaces
- Reading assignment: Types of analyses in Terra
- Quiz 2: Terra Workspaces
- Quiz 2 answers
- Next: Data in the cloud
- Terra and data in the cloud
- Reading assignment: Terra architecture
- Quiz: Terra architecture
- Quiz 3 answers
- Next: Create an account (hands on)
- Exercise 1: Create a Terra account
- Reading assignment: Account setup
- Next steps: Getting help
- Learning more and getting help
- Terra Support Center
- Community Forum
- Talk to us directly
- Intro to Terra course wrapup
- Course summary
- Course survey
- Next: Set up billing
- Take another course
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.