The Leadership Journey
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-07-11
About the Book
A handful of great leaders were born with something innate that made them inspirational and amazing. The rest of us? We have to struggle and learn through our failures. Perhaps we're able to learn from mentors along the way. This book is designed to help you figure out what you want to be as a leader, and how to help yourself inspire and motivate awesome, highly effective teams.
What makes this book different from other leadership books? Well, me, frankly. I've piled up some unique experiences working in various roles from the military through Cub Scouts. This book gathers up those experiences and lessons learned, and adds in practical exercises to help you focus on discovering and building your own leadership style.
This book also contains my Leadership 101 series from my blog at FrazzledDad.com.
Managing Director, Excelon Development
In the five years I have known Jim, I have hired him, handed accounts to him, collaborated with him on a crazy project that I was only willing to do because I trusted him. In that time, I have come to trust him as a brother and respect his judgement. If you want an introductory book about leadership that is more than cliches, provides actionable information, and actually makes you think, then you want The Leadership Journey. His advice on "do something awesome" alone is worth the asking price.
Unity Technologies & angryweasel.com
In The Leadership Journey, Jim has captured an honest, practical, and no-frills essence of the difference between people who call themselves leaders, and those who can actually walk the walk. In addition to numerous examples, Jim includes simple and helpful exercises to help readers begin and continue their own leadership journey, and he includes plenty of pointers to additional reading for those thirsty for more knowledge. Truly a must have for anyone looking to develop and grow as a leader.
I have had the very good fortune to work with Jim Holmes for more than a decade. In that time, I have always admired his ability to lead – to created stewardships of responsibility for others that help them to be successful and at the same time become better leaders themselves. To this day, any time I can spend with Jim makes me a better leader – and he can help you too!
"Jim is a man of character and competence, with wisdom beyond his years. He is a true servant leader. His brilliance, coupled with his passion to deliver value creates growth and adds value to any team. I learn something from Jim every time we interact. He stands out as a notable leader and influencer of this age."
Preface: Why This Book?
- The Bad
- The Good
- Whom Is This Book For?
- Which Teams Does This Book Focus On?
- Leadership Is a Journey
My Goals for You
- Decide if You Do Indeed Want to Become a Leader
- Know How to Become a Leader
- Help You Feel Like You’re a Successful Leader
- Help You Understand How to Run an Awesome Team
- Working The Exercises
Why Should You Become a Leader?
- Too Few Good Ones
- Career Advancement
- Filling a Gap
- Exercise: Why Should You Become a Leader?
What Makes a Great Leader?
- Exercise: What Makes A Great Leader?
- A Good Leader…
- What Will Make YOU a Great Leader?
- Exercise: Find Your Strengths and Weaknesses
- Exercise: Working With Your Strengths and Weaknesses
Growing Into Leadership
- Dealing With Impostor Syndrome
- Get Your Boss Looped In
- Learn the Mission
- Demonstrate Ability
- Following Up With Your Boss
- Becoming a Trusted Advisor
- Finishing Up
Being A Great Leader
- Learn to Prioritize and Push Back (Gracefully)
- Learn More About The Mission
- Foster Success
- 1:1 Meetings: They’re Not Optional
- Formal Career Reviews
- Working With Difficult People
- Handling “Red Zone” Situations
- Be Prepared
- Level Up Your Communication Skills
Taking Care of You
- Time Management
- Find a Mentor—For Yourself
- The Final, Most Important Thing: Work Life Balance
- Exercise: What Have You Learned About Yourself?
- Closing Up
- Closing Thoughts
- Need Help?
- About The Cover
Appendix A: The Leadership 101 Blog Series
- My Take On Fundamentals
- Don’t Screw With My Crew
- Want Respect? Give Respect.
- Calm in a Storm
- Communicate Bad News And Big Changes In Person
- Foster Success with Small Victories
- Build Broad Shoulders
- Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff (And It’s NOT All Small Stuff)
- Open That Door!
- Integrity is a Coin You Can’t Afford to Spend
- Stop Talking and Listen
- Odds and Ends Grab Bag
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.