The Effective CTO
The Effective CTO
Best practices for IT departments
About the Book
No matter if you are an engineer, VP or CTO. Times in IT have changed. Massive trends like cloud computing, lean product development and continuous delivery are destroying conventional wisdom.
This book covers best practices of the world's leading companies in five areas:
- General organization of the IT department
- People and teams
These best practices will be a game changer for your daily work and will allow you to successfully run an IT department in an ever changing world.
- About this book
- General organization of the IT department
- Purpose is the basis for success
- An agile roadmap for long term planning
- Objectives And Key Results (OKRs) for short term focus
- Essential meetings for your department
- How to get feedback from teams before problems pile up
- How to structure teams of your department
- Tech radar helps to guide your engineers
- How to organize the documentation of your department
- Ban acronyms
- Announcing difficult decisions
- Culture / Establishing a learning culture
- How your department benefits from retrospectives
- Tolerating failure is the prerequisite for innovation
- How Post-Mortems help to improve
- Pre-Mortems for project success
- People and teams
- How to make remote teams work
- How the Pomodoro Approach can help to forge a remote team
- Praising your employees is the basis for success
- How to deal with toxic team members
- How to make collaboration between product and engineering work from a technical perspective
- Traits of high-performance teams
- How to deal with single points of failure
- Optimize onboarding
- How to source employees for hiring
- Career paths as essential ingredients for employee satisfaction
- Hiring consistently the best people with a structured hiring process
- What when employees leave
- How OKRs help to manage your direct reports
- Multi-focus is deadly for teams
- Checklists - for everything
- Team maturity is a crucial concept for successful team formation
- Product Owners - not Product Monkeys
- Get feedback quickly from customers
- Difference between an Agile Roadmap and a wishlist
- Analytics is the basis for a Product Owner
- Acceptance criteria to define when a feature is finished
- Use internship programs to connect engineers with users
- Follow up on customers quitting your software
- True continuous deployment supercharges productivity
- Keep an overview of your services and systems
- Why teams are the key to stable systems
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Windows 10 System Programming, Part 1Pavel Yosifovich
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.