A Short Grammar of Greenkeeping
Last updated on 2016-04-08
About the Book
Every turfgrass manager knows that temperature, light, water, and fertilizer will influence the growth rate of the grass. Because the growth rate, and adjustments to it, are what finally produce the desired playing surfaces, it is critically important to understand how these factors can be adjusted. This book explains how the influence of air temperature, photosynthetic light, plant water status, and leaf nitrogen content can be thought of and communicated as a grammar: the fundamental principles or rules of an art or a science. I've put this book together based on 14 articles I wrote on this topic for GCM China. Royalties from the sale of this book in 2016 were donated to the Environmental Institute for Golf.
- Defining Turfgrass Management
- Two Uncontrollable Factors Influencing Grass Growth
- Managing water in the soil
- Nitrogen, temperature, and growth rate
- Growth potential of turf as influenced by temperature
- Managing soil organic matter
- Measuring soil water to estimate soil air
- Four things to increase roots on putting greens
- Do you know how much salt is in the irrigation water?
- Managing salt by leaching
- Measuring clipping yield from putting greens
- An easy PAR
- Similar temperatures, but dissimilar sunshine
- Two ways to avoid nutrient deficiencies
- Appendix A: Additional information
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.