Last updated on 2019-10-08
About the Book
Mark Twain is credited with the saying "It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So." The more sure you are that your networks and information systems are locked down and comply with your security policies; that they are actually enforced by your nextgen firewalls, fancy URL filtering proxy servers, and SIEM dashboards, the more likely it is, that just ain't so. Shadow IT has a way of taking security policies that you know are Right, and making them Irrelevant because you can't even detect (or are not looking for) that shadow IT is bypassing your security policies and objectives.
A blog will accompany the book https://shadowit.weebly.com/ for information between updates to the book if you are interested.
Read the book for free: send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and describe your suspicion of how Shadow IT is being used in your organization and I'll send you a coupon for the book. Example: Have you shut off the WiFi at home for "family time" or "quiet study/reading time"? So the kids are now using cellular data or the neighbors' WiFi instead, what do they care about your WiFi, and do you really want your kids to be so stupid and compliant they won't think of it?
- 0.1 How to Use / Read This Book
1. Shadow IT: An Introduction
- 1.1 What You Know For Sure That Ain't So
- 1.2 Applicability
- 1.3 Types of Shadow IT
- 1.4 Hire Competent People
- 1.5 Whitelist your security
- 1.6 Training, education and "good security practices" are still necessary
- 1.7 End of Scolding
- 1.8 No Secrets Here
- 1.9 Summary and Looking Forward: The Need for Leadership With Vision
2. Local Tunnels
- 2.1 What is it, and what's the danger?
- 2.2 How does it work?
- 2.3 How to detect and stop
- 2.4 The Irony of Security Education
- 2.5 Observation
3. Zero Knowledge services
- 3.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 3.2 How Is This Different from File Sharing in the Clouds?
- 3.3 How to detect and stop
4. Use of Nonstandard Service Ports
- 4.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 4.2 How to Detect and Stop
- 4.3 Similarity to Anti-Censorship Strategies
5. SSL VPNs
- 5.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 5.2 How to detect and stop
- 5.3 Observation
- 5.4 (Web) Application Proxies
6. Misused Online Conferencing Tools
- 6.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 6.2 How to detect and stop
- 6.3 Examples of Browser Plugin Based and Application Based Conferencing Services
7. Encrypted File Transfer in Browser
- 7.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 7.2 How to detect and stop
8. Cloud Services
- 8.1 Almost anyone with a credit card can start a cloud based server
- 8.2 How to detect and stop
- 8.3 Observation
9. File Sync Danger
- 9.1 What is it
- 9.2 How to detect and stop
- 9.3 Observation
10. Portable Apps
- 10.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 10.2 How to detect and stop
- 10.3 Observation
11. Desktop Virtualization
- 11.1 What is it
- 11.2 How to block
- 11.3 Observation
- 11.4 Observation 2
12. Desktop Virtualization and TOR
- 12.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 12.2 How to detect and stop
13. Unblocked TOR Access
- 13.1 Unblocked TOR access
- 13.2 How to detect and stop
- 13.3 Many Networks Do Not Block TOR
- 13.4 Observation
14. Anti-Censorship Services
- 14.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 14.2 How to detect and stop
15. QUIC! Encrypted UDP Transport
- 15.1 What is it, how does it work, and what's the danger?
- 15.2 How to Block
- 15.3 Observation
- 15.4 Observation 2
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Defending your civil liberties in a digital world.https://www.eff.org/
Based in San Francisco, EFF is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect fundamental rights regardless of technology.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.