Securing The API Stronghold
Securing The API Stronghold
The Ultimate Guide to API Security
About the Book
As the world becomes more and more connected, digital security is more and more a pressing concern. Especially in the Internet of Things (IoT), Application Programming Interface (API), and microservice spaces, the proper access management needs to be seriously addressed to ensure that web assets are securely distributed. We at Nordic APIs have collated our most helpful advice on API security into this eBook - a single tomb that introduces important terms, outlines proven API security stacks, and describes workflows using modern technologies. This knowledge is crucial for any web service that needs to properly authenticate, control access, delegate authority, and federate credentials across a system. Following an overview of basic concepts, we'll dive into specific considerations such as:
- Detailing OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect protocols and workflows
- Defining three distinct approaches to API licensing and availability
- Performing delegation of user identity across microservices
- Using OAuth and the Neo-Security stack to handle identity and access control
- Differentiating Authentication, Authorization, Federation, and Delegation, and the importance of each
- Using OpenID Connect for Native Single Sign On (SSO), Mobile Identity Management (MIM) & secure IoT applications
- ... and more
Please read on, share, and enjoy our 5th eBook from the Nordic APIs team, a free compilation of insights from identity experts security specialists.
*All proceeds from the sale of this eBook will be donated to the Salvation Army in Sweden.
Nordic APIs Editor in Chief
Co-Founder, Twobo Technologies
Web Developer, Nordic APIs Blogger
Co-Founder, Twobo Technologies, Nordic APIs
1. Introducing API Security Concepts
- 1.1 Identity is at the Forefront of API Security
- 1.2 Neo-Security Stack
- 1.3 OAuth Basics
- 1.4 OpenID Connect
- 1.5 JSON Identity Suite
- 1.6 Neo-Security Stack Protocols Increase API Security
- 1.7 The Myth of API Keys
- 1.8 Access Management
- 1.9 IoT Security
- 1.10 Using Proven Standards
2. The 4 Defenses of The API Stronghold
- 2.1 Balancing Access and Permissions
- 2.2 Authentication: Identity
- 2.3 Authorization: Access
- 2.4 Federation: Reusing Credentials & Spreading Resources
- 2.5 Delegation: The Signet of (Limited) Power
- 2.6 Holistic Security vs. Singular Approach
- 2.7 Application For APIs
3. Equipping Your API With the Right Armor: 3 Approaches to Provisioning
- 3.1 Differences In API Approaches: Private, Public, & Partner APIs
- 3.2 Considerations and Caveats
- 3.3 So Where Is The Middle Ground?
- 3.4 Real-World Failure
- 3.5 Two Real-World Successes
- 3.6 Conclusion
4. Your API is Vulnerable: 4 Top Security Risks to Mitigate
- 4.1 Gauging Vulnerabilities
- 4.2 Black Hat vs. White Hat Hackers
- 4.3 Risk 1 - Security Relies on the Developer
- 4.4 Risk 2 - “Just Enough” Coding
- 4.5 Risk 3 - Misunderstanding Your Ecosystem
- 4.6 Risk 4 - Trusting the API Consumer With Too Much Control
- 4.7 Conclusion
5. Deep Dive into OAuth and OpenID Connect
- 5.1 OAuth and OpenID Connect in Context
- 5.2 Start with a Secure Foundation
- 5.3 Overview of OAuth
- 5.4 Actors in OAuth
- 5.5 Scopes
- 5.6 Kinds of Tokens
- 5.7 Passing Tokens
- 5.8 Profiles of Tokens
- 5.9 Types of Tokens
- 5.10 OAuth Flow
- 5.11 Improper and Proper Uses of OAuth
- 5.12 Building OpenID Connect Atop OAuth
- 5.13 Conclusion
6. Unique Authorization Applications of OpenID Connect
- 6.1 How OpenID Connect Enables Native SSO
- 6.2 How to Use OpenID Connect to Enable Mobile Information Management and BYOD
- 6.3 How OpenID Connect Enables the Internet of Things
7. How To Control User Identity Within Microservices
- 7.1 What Are Microservices, Again?
- 7.2 Great, So What’s The Problem?
- 7.3 The Solution: OAuth As A Delegation Protocol
- 7.4 The Simplified OAuth 2 Flow
- 7.5 The OpenID Connect Flow
- 7.6 Using JWT For OAuth Access Tokens
- 7.7 Let All Microservices Consume JWT
- 7.8 Why Do This?
8. Data Sharing in the IoT
- 8.1 A New Economy Based on Shared, Delegated Ownership
- 8.2 Connected Bike Lock Example IoT Device
- 8.3 How This Works
- 8.4 Option #1: Access Tables
- 8.5 Option #2: Delegated Tokens: OpenID Connect
- 8.6 Review:
9. Securing Your Data Stream with P2P Encryption
- 9.1 Why Encrypt Data?
- 9.2 Defining Terms
- 9.3 Variants of Key Encryption
- 9.4 Built-in Encryption Solutions
- 9.5 External Encryption Solutions
- 9.6 Use-Case Scenarios
- 9.7 Example Code Executions
- 9.8 Conclusion
10. Day Zero Flash Exploits and Versioning Techniques
- 10.1 Short History of Dependency-Centric Design Architecture
- 10.2 The Hotfix — Versioning
- 10.3 Dependency Implementation Steps: EIT
- 10.4 Lessons Learned
- 10.5 Conclusion
11. Fostering an Internal Culture of Security
- 11.1 Holistic Security — Whose Responsibility?
- 11.2 The Importance of CIA: Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability
- 11.3 4 Aspects of a Security Culture
- 11.4 Considering “Culture”
- 11.5 All Organizations Should Perpetuate an Internal Culture of Security
- API Themed Events
- API Security Talks:
- Follow the Nordic APIs Blog
- More eBooks by Nordic APIs:
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...