This book is 70% complete
Last updated on 2019-08-18
About the Book
Taking care of a digital product is a task that requires diverse knowledge, such as: dealing with customer pressure, the development team wishes, and the sales team needs. But how to negotiate the product scope and terms? What should be developed first in the roadmap for my product? How to increase user retention? These and several other issues pursue product managers in their day-to-day.
In this book, Joaquim Torres answers these questions and shows the day-to-day work of a product manager, presenting all the concepts necessary for anyone who wants to build and manage successful digital products.
Thinking about many digital product issues, some companies that are considered experts on software development began to adopt a new expertise in its software development process, Digital Product Management. This role aims to ensure that software being developed meets the objectives of its owner while it also meets the needs of its users.
In addition, a person in this role has to consider all aspects of software development. Some agile methodologies such as Scrum, have the role of the Product Owner, whose main responsibility is to prioritize items to be developed. In a way, this is what a Digital Product Manager does, but there's more to be covered by this role.
That's what we'll talk about in this book. :-)
About the book
- Why does this happen?
- Software product management
- Who will benefit from reading this book?
- Book structure
About the author - Joaquim Torres (a.k.a. Joca)
- What is your purpose?
About the translator and co-creator
- About Paulo Caroli
- About the book
Definitions and requirements
What is a software product?
- Types of software products
- Product or platform?
- What are platforms?
What is software product management?
- Aligning company strategy with customer needs
- The core team for developing software products
- What is the difference between managing a product and a platform?
Product manager or product owner?
- So they are different roles?
- What to do if your company has product managers and product owners?
- Main characteristics of a product manager
Leadership tips for product managers
- Set the context
- Remove obstacles
- Don’t waste time looking for culprits
- Air, food and profit
- What is a software product?
Lifecycle of a software product
How does the lifecycle of a software product work?
- The abyss
Innovation: what is it?
- Of course clients know what they want!
Focusing on the problem
Innovation: the job to be done
- The “job to be done” market research
- Understanding problems and their context
Innovation: a lot of opportunities
- How many opportunities to pursue at the same time?
- Validating opportunities
- Dealing with user feedbacks
- Example of hurry to act due to feedback
- Crossing the chasm
What is a roadmap?
- How frequently should I update the roadmap?
- Should I keep a secret about my roadmap?
- Cone of uncertainty
- How to build a roadmap?
- Putting everything into one image
- Roadmap = motivation + metrics
- Detailing versus audience
- Roadmap or backlog?
Growth: be a “data geek”
- Which data is important?
- Conversion funnel
Engagement and churn
- Data science, machine learning and product management
Growth: financial metrics
- Global numbers: revenue and costs
- Individual numbers: CAC, LT and LTV
- Revenue churn
Growth: the loyalty metric
- NPS – Net Promoter Score
- Closing the loop: from information to action
- Tip: internal NPS
Growth: thoughts on metrics
- A little bit on A/B tests
- Analysis paralysis
- Final thoughts
What is and how to create the product vision and strategy?
- What is product vision and why do we need it?
- Creating the Product Vision
- Product Vision examples
- Product Strategy
- Your product evolves, your vision and strategy too!
- Summing up
Putting it all together: vision, strategy, roadmap and OKRs
- Final thoughts
- How does the lifecycle of a software product work?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.