PDF-KungFoo with Ghostscript & Co.
PDF-KungFoo with Ghostscript & Co.
100 Tips and Tricks for Clever PDF Creation and Handling
About the Book
This book, once finished, will contain a few rare gems. It will contain some great tricks and other stuff which you'll not find anywhere else on the Big Net, nor in any books you can buy from Amazon.
However, it is "work in progress". It summarizes some of the practical solutions I applied to real-world problems encountered by my clients. Early buyers and readers will be able to follow its progressing development -- and they will be entitled to updates until the final completed version without paying any extra money.
Most of the book's chapters deal with Ghostscript commands. But sometimes I also refer to other helper utilities, which I employ when Ghostscript isn't the right tool for the job.
Each chapter is intended to be of immediate practical value, and each one can stand on its own, giving the reader a basic or more advanced "recipe" that can be applied and adapted to his own situation, while at the same time giving additional background information and highlighting technical concepts in context.
While this book is still work in progress, readers are encouraged to submit their own suggestions and questions about topics to be included into the final version.
My experience in the prepress world and in the printing industry spans over 2 decades. To date, I've used Ghostscript and other Free Software tools for more than 15 years. Most of the 'problems' and practical tasks I describe here have been posed to me...
- ...either from paying customers, whom I helped through consulting, troubleshooting, training or software development activities,
- ...or from emails I received (sometimes from people I have not heard of before or after) asking me some particular question about a problem,
- ...or via some public internet forum, newsgroup or platform where people ask IT- or programming related questions, most prominently on StackOverflow.com.
Luckily I kept a record of the most interesting and of the most commonly asked things.
This document is a condensed summary from my archives. And sometimes I didn't write paragraphs completely from scratch, but copied them straight from my old mails. So, if you come across some sentence in the "Question" or the "Answer" section of the coming chapters which sounds familiar to you: maybe it's because you sent me the question before, or because you received the same answer from me years ago. Over time, I may decide to edit, polish and straighten many of the original, still "raw" pieces in this book. However, this may also depend on readers' general feedback.
Be warned though: this document is not necessarily a comprehensive, systematic tutorial! Some of the snippets explained in different chapters may be duplicates and therefor could be seen as redundant. However, should you end up reading and working through all chapters of the booklet, you'll remember these parts better and you may have gained a rather complete picture of Ghostscript's capabilities :-)
While I didn't do a precise count: I'm pretty sure that a newbie Ghostscript user will easily find 100 different pieces of practical Ghostscript usage snippets here, even if the book currently does not (yet) contain 100 distinct chapters. Experienced users will also be able to find one or the other 'gem of wisdom'.
All in all I hope you'll find my 'PDF-KungFoo -- 100 Tips + Tricks for Ghostscript & Co.' useful. I intend to expand and update this document over time. Readers will be entitled to free updates. So I hope, in a year or two, you will have a document which could rather be named '100 Chapters with 1000 Tipps + Tricks for Ghostscript & Co.'
-- Kurt Pfeifle
Preliminary Plan for Table of Content (to be expanded)Contents Metadata Changelog Introduction 100 Tipps and Tricks
- 1 Where can I download the tools shown in this book?
- 2 How can I convert PCL to PDF?
- 3 How can I convert XPS to PDF?
- 4 Why doesn't Acrobat Distiller embed all fonts fully?
- 5 How can I extract fonts from PDFs as valid font files?
- 6 How can I embed fonts when generating PDFs?
- 7 How can I embed a missing font into an existing PDF?
- 8 How can I convert a font to an outline in an existing PDF?
- 9 Can I replace a font inside a PDF?
- 10 How can I make invisible fonts visible?
- 11 How can I spellcheck a scanned PDF?
- 12 How can I convert a color PDF into grayscale?
- 13 How can I convert a CMYK-based PDF into an RGB-based one?
- 14 How can I check for colored pages inside a PDF?
- 15 How can I check for all-white pages inside a PDF?
- 16 How can I use 'pdfmark' to insert bookmarks into PDF?
- 17 How can I use 'pdfmark' to change PDF metadata?
- 18 How to extract text from PDF?
- 19 How do I unit test a Python function that draws PDF graphics?
- 20 How do I determine the number of PDF pages?
- 21 How do I crop PDF pages?
- 22 How do I scale PDF pages?
- 23 How can I rotate PDF pages?
- 24 How can I open PDF “raw”?
- 25 How can I remove white margins from PDF pages?
- 26 How can I determine which pages of a PDF use color?
- 27 What are PostScript dictionaries, and how can they be accessed (in ghostscript)?
- 28 How can I use Ghostscript to query the default settings used by an output device (such as ‘pdfwrite’ or ‘tiffg4’) ?
- 29 What is the difference between PostScript and PDF?
- Changelog (major changes only)
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Hints for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X and Unix Users
- 3 Downloading the tools
II 100 Tipps and Tricks
- 4 How can I convert PCL to PDF?
- 5 How can I to convert XPS to PDF?
- 6 How can I unit test a Python function that draws PDF graphics?
- 7 How can I compare 2 PDFs on the commandline?
- 8 How can I remove white margins from PDF pages?
- 9 Using Ghostscript to get page size
- 10 Why doesn’t Acrobat Distiller embed all fonts fully – even when explicitly setup to do so?
- 11 How do I make Ghostscript show all fonts it can find on my local system?
- 12 How can I extract embedded fonts from a PDF as valid font files?
- 13 How can I convert fonts to outlines in an existing PDF?
- 14 How can I get Ghostscript to use embedded fonts in PDF?
- 15 How do I embed fonts when generating PDFs? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 16 How can I embed a missing font into an existing PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 17 Can I replace a font inside a PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 18 How can I use invisible fonts in a PDF?
IV Scanned Pages and PDF
- 19 How can I make the invisible OCR information on a scanned PDF page visible?
- 20 How can I spellcheck a scanned PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 21 How can I convert a color PDF into grayscale?
- 22 How can I convert a CMYK-based PDF into an RGB-based one? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 23 How can I check for colored pages inside a PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 24 How can I check for all-white pages inside a PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 25 How can I understand what this funny ‘pdfmark’ stuff is about?
26 How can I use
pdfmarkto insert bookmarks into PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
27 How can I use
pdfmarkwith Ghostscript to change PDF metadata?
- 28 How can I use Ghostscript to add an annotation to a PDF?
VII Text extraction
- 29 How can I extract text from PDF? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 30 How can I re-order pages in a PDF
- 31 How to recognize PDF format?
- 32 How can I let Ghostscript determine the number of PDF pages?
- 33 How can I crop PDF pages? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 34 How can I scale PDF pages? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 35 How can I rotate PDF pages? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 36 How can I open PDF “raw”? (CONTENT STILL MISSING)
- 37 How can I use Ghostscript as a calculator inside the shell?
- 38 Do you also use non-FOSS tools for your PDF-related work? If so, which?
- 39 Why do you call Apple’s Preview.app ‘evil, malicious and ambidextrous to unsuspecting users’?
IX Some Topics in Depth
- 40 Can I query the default settings Ghostscript uses for an output device (such as ‘pdfwrite’ or ‘tiffg4’)?
- About the Author
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Defending your civil liberties in a digital world.https://www.eff.org/
Based in San Francisco, EFF is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect fundamental rights regardless of technology.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...