Encryption in Everyday Life
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2014-04-02
About the Book
Encryption ensures that files are stored in an encrypted form whether you are transmitting it over the Internet, backing it up on a server, carrying it on USB or on your laptop. Encrypting your data makes it unreadable to anyone but you or intended recipient.Reading the encrypted sectors without permission will return random-looking data instead of the actual files.Encryption is a great way to keep valuable data safe.
We will cover: Employing full-disk encryption, which protects all your data even if your hardware falls into the wrong hands. Encrypting your cloud storage. Encrypting your Internet traffic. Encrypting online communication, if you want it to remain private, it’s time to start thinking about encryption. Encrypting your email. Encryption for social networks and open web.
1.1 What is Encryption
- Definition of encryption by Oxford dictionary:
1.2 About the book
- You’ll learn how to:
- 1.3 Book formats & versions available
- 1.4 An important note for Windows and Mac users
- 1.5 Conventions used in this Book
- 1.6 Terminology
- 1.1 What is Encryption
- 2 Encryption
3 Full-disk encryption
- Encrypt home with ECryptfs
- Encrypting swap using ECryptfs
- Create encrypted directory
- 3.1 ECryptfs
4 Encrypting your cloud storage
4.1 Cloud storage
- Encrypting your cloud storage
GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard)
- Using GPG from terminal
- Tips for using gpg from terminal
- Using AES Crypt
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) Option
- Command-Line AES usage
- 4.2 Setting up private cloud storage
- 4.1 Cloud storage
5 Encrypting your Internet traffic
- 5.1 Tor
- 5.2 TorChat
- 5.3 Setting up Pidgin to work with TOR
- 5.4 Setting up X-chat to work with TOR
- 5.5 I2P
- 5.6 Setting up X-chat to work with I2P
- 5.7 Setting up Pidgin to work with I2P
- 5.8 Secure and Encrypted VoIP
- 5.9 Virtualbox
- 5.10 Whonix (Anonymous Operating System)
5.11 Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- You can use your VPS as:
6 Encrypting online communication
- 6.1 Firefox Encryption Add-Ons
- 6.2 Encrypting files in your Browser
6.3 Encryption for social networks and open web
7 Encrypting your email
- 7.1 Mail (Thunderbird and PGP)
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.